I have a question !!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

I have been noteing lately that we have a lot of guests on our site. As I write this, there are 144 people on site, and only 14 are members. My question is why don't the guests want to become members ?? It doesn't cost anything to join, you don't need to show any of your work, there are some great contests and exchanges to be involved in, and a lot of answers to questions they may have. Just trying to satisfy my curiosity. Any ideas ?? Jim S

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Well, your question is most valid, I have also notice that a few times that I checked out and while I don't have an answer to your question, I can say that, a great number of those "visitors" are people that while purchasing or enquiring about some eof my products or even asking general questions about pen turning related, sent links to the IAP appropriate threads or post, regardless if they are mine or someone else's.

Many have become members as a result but, they may be reluctant to join in, immediately, they may look around for a little while before they make the decision.

In some Forums, you have to join in to be able to see the threads/post and particularly the pics they contain, I'm not sure that, this is the case on IAP, I believe is not but that, Jeff or one of the Mods, will be able to answer...!

However, I should say that, I may be responsible/accountable for "some" of these daily visitors buy I doubt that, they would be that many in a single day...!

Promoting IAP, that's what its called...! In my view, off-course.:)

Cheers
George

Skeleton2014

One possibility...

Right now as I write this, there are 8 members and 130 guests. I visit the site 10 or 15 times a day or more but don't log in every time. I use an iPad which until recently I didn't know exactly how to configure my settings so that it would automatically fill in my username and password. Even after I configured it to do this, I still have to click the "Login" button on the screen. Again, I don't login all of the time as most of the areas on the IAP site that I look at don't require the user to login... Only when I do a search, or a post, etc. does it ask you to login. On the other hand, when I use my Windows based laptop (which is very infrequent) it logs me in whenever I click my shortcut icon to visit the IAP website.
Anyway, I wonder if the 130 "guests" tonight, or in your observation, are mostly members, just not logged in???
Jeff

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
There are many who have heard you can make money selling pens. They have also heard they can learn a lot from this site. I have met and, given hands on help in how to make these pens. They did join the forum and, immediately started selling pens at craft fairs etc. It is increasingly becoming a popular hobby. I think some people want to look like they've been turning for some time, rather than admit they are new at it. Therefor, they will actually browse the forums limits, before joining, or not.

turncrazy43

Have noticed the same thing, (more guests listed than members), not sure of the reason either. But would urge those visitors who are not members to join. Being free there is no reason not to and it is not necessary to post. Join and enjoy.

sbell111

Right now, it shows 42 members and 176 guests. The only thing that can really be taken out of that is that there 218 people viewing the forums, since guests can be non-members or members who either are not signed in or are in stealth mode :ghost:. I wonder if that guest number also accounts for bots that might on the site.

BSea

I just went and looked at 4 other forums I'm a part of. All of them have many more guest than members online. The ratio is anywhere from about 7 to 1 up to around 11 or 12 to 1. So I think it's just the way most forums are.

EDIT: I went to a several more that I don't go to often. Only found 2 that had ratios that were less than 2 to 1. But even they didn't have more members than guests.

Last edited:

BSea

Bob what other forums do you look at?

Surely none are better the the IAP !
Well I have many more post here than any other forum. That should tell you something.:wink:

But if you're really curious:
Woodwork Forums (Australia)
World of Wood
The Hobby Machinist
Scubaboard
Scubatoys Forum
The Deco Stop
1911 Forum
FJCruisers forum

plantman

I just went and looked at 4 other forums I'm a part of. All of them have many more guest than members online. The ratio is anywhere from about 7 to 1 up to around 11 or 12 to 1. So I think it's just the way most forums are.

EDIT: I went to a several more that I don't go to often. Only found 2 that had ratios that were less than 2 to 1. But even they didn't have more members than guests.

Bob; What can a member do on the site that a guest can't ?? Jim S

OOPS

Speaking as one who lurked here for some time before actually "joining" I can tell you that there is a certain amount of apprehension about joining any online activity. One, do you "qualify" as a pen turner when you haven't made one yet, or even have a lathe? Two, are you going to be inundated with junk email as a result of joining? Three, you might be active in other turning pursuits, but just want to browse what pen turners are doing.

While I too have been surprised from time to time at the number of guests on the site at any one time, I can remember from personal experience that when I got comfortable with the group, I joined. Before that, I just watched. Even once I joined, I was hesitant to participate in the discussions, as I just didn't know that much.

low_48

I can tell you one benefit of not being a member. You won't get a long private message rant about their dislike of how you conducted yourself in a discussion. Celebrated my 10 year membership here this month.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
So What???

In a day's time I do a lot of things where I wind up on a web site....Many of them I go because I did a search and the web site came up. A lot of them allow me to read but not post if I am not a member, many are free to join. ---- I do not join them. My question here is 'What difference does it make?"

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
All of our content is open to members and guests alike. Only members can post, see other member profiles, and use the PM system. I've never felt there was any reason to restrict more than that. What restricting general content does is cause people to join who want to see a piece of information, then they never come back. I'd rather people join when they are ready to participate!

The visitor count is high for a couple reasons, but they are all real IP addresses hitting the server. Our threads are fully indexed in Google and Bing, so when we show up in search results and people click, that increases the guest count by one for 20 minutes, even if they don't click further in. Search agent engines account for some of the count as well. Think of all the words in the 1.5 million of our posts that Google indexes. That's a lot of possible hits.

The stealth mode (so-called "invisible mode", settable in UserCP) only removes your name from the user table, it doesn't decrease the count.

BSea

Bob; What can a member do on the site that a guest can't ?? Jim S
I think Jeff explained it pretty well. And he's right about some site restrictions. For example, in some you can't see their library, or any photos other than the thumbnails. If you click a thumbnail it tells you you don't have access.

I have joined some sites just for some of the information in the libraries. As a general rule though, I participate to some degree. But many I don't go to much anymore.

Rockytime

There is a little intimidation when viewing a forum for the first time. I belong to a group that classifies you by the number of posts you do. When making your first number of quotes you are classified as a Squid. In other words a newbie. As you post more you are advanced to something like aluminum, then brass and so on. Who wants to be a Squid? I believe viewers are looking to determine if the site is snobbish, friendly, aloof, etc. On the other hand there are those that just are not joiners. I found this site to be helpful and very friendly. That's why I'm here. Les

plantman

There is a little intimidation when viewing a forum for the first time. I belong to a group that classifies you by the number of posts you do. When making your first number of quotes you are classified as a Squid. In other words a newbie. As you post more you are advanced to something like aluminum, then brass and so on. Who wants to be a Squid? I believe viewers are looking to determine if the site is snobbish, friendly, aloof, etc. On the other hand there are those that just are not joiners. I found this site to be helpful and very friendly. That's why I'm here. Les

Les; I find your answer to be quite interesting and a reveletion to my question !! No one should feel intimidated when entering this or any other site. I can see where being classified as a squid would do that to someone. The site is only trying to get you to be more active, but using intimidation as the catalyst. Lead may have been a better choise !! A guest should also not be exposed to someone being degaded for asking a simple question, a question asked a thousand times, or making a new turners mistake. The reason they came to this site was to gain knowledge, see what other turners are doing, and get answers to questions they may have !! They, or any other member of this site, don't need smart a$$ answers, no answers, or personal critcism !! People that see some of the fantastic pens that members of this site have made, should not feel intimidated by them, but look at them as something that they too can obtain with time and effort and by asking the members how it is done. Thanks to all who have shed some light on this question !! Jim S

TonyL

This doesn't answer the question, but maybe there's a correlation between guests and members: therefore driving more guests to the site eventually leads to more members. I really do not know if there is, but I only see an upside - perhaps incorrectly.

Gregf

I will agree that requiring a visitor to join to view content or pictures is counter productive. If I end up on a forum as the result of a search for something I'm interested in at the moment, and they require creating a user id I usually just move on.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Intimidation

How can I be intimidated sitting in front of MY computer looking at a web site? If there is anything I don't like about the site, I can move on. I usually do quite a lot of thinking before I join a forum, not because I'm intimidated but because I want to be sure I'll be going back at least a few times.

plantman

How can I be intimidated sitting in front of MY computer looking at a web site? If there is anything I don't like about the site, I can move on. I usually do quite a lot of thinking before I join a forum, not because I'm intimidated but because I want to be sure I'll be going back at least a few times.

Smitty; I think the intimidation Les was refering to was more on the line of seeing what some of the more advanced pen makers on the site were showing, and not knowing if, being a beginner, you will be able to reach that level. I agree with you, if the forum has nothing to offer or has something you don't like, why waste youe time ?? If it wants you to join before you can brouse around, maybe it's not for you !! If the guests come to this site several times, and it fills their needs, I a sure they will join at one point or another. Then again, as was stated, some people are just not joiners. Jim S

Last edited:

Akula

Spiders and Bots (shown as guests) are for page ranking. Getting high search engine visibility could well be the very worst thing you can do for your business. It's easy to get top placement for searches on your company name - but that's for people who already know of you. However the key reason for visibility on Google and other search engines is so you will be found by that part of your target market who haven't heard of you yet.

Some things are true for all sites.

People rarely read FAQ's.

People rarely read Stickies.

Some People will rarely post. Seeing a lot of "guests" should not be a factor if you like the website. You should be at the site for the content.

Currently Active Users: 178 (31 members and 147 guests)

Woodkiller

I have an iPhone and iPad as my only sources to get online. Both are fairly secure and set to private browsing. What that means for me is that if I walk away for a minute and it times out and goes off, I will still be on whatever site I was on but will no longer be logged in. I recently figured out that I do lots of browsing as a guest.

Top Bottom