I have a question about dust collectors?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chris88

I have searched and did some read but I need some help on this one. I am very and I do mine very limited to space. I am working out of my garage and it has no A/C in it. I do have some good fans to blow some air around in the garage. It gets pretty hot in there. I have seen the dust hoods and hoses. So my question is what kind of dust collectors can I get. For right now all I am looking to use it on is my lathe. The price range is open but with in reason. I don't mind spending a little more to get the right system the first time. I have tried the shop vac and it does not work all that good.

Thanks Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mickr

Lathe large? small? Pens only? bowls hogging wood? these questions make it hard to reccomend a system size...just pens??look at psi they have a little system just for that...Big bowls and lots of sanding? 1-1/2 horse dust collector...need lots of breeze to keep the dust from your face and down your lungs

Wildman

Any of the consumer grade dust collectors (DC) will work. You need 1 micron DC bags or cartridge filter/poly bag set up on you DC.

I have a Harbor Freight DC, with Wynne filter & polyurethane bag. It's noisy. The 30 micron bags that came with DC were worthless. If this link works this is what I have. http://www.wynnev.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.html

At the lathe have a Penn State Universal DC Inlet #DCU which cost $59.95 + $12 shipping. You can also use a DC hose stuck in a cardboard box.

Only time use DC at the lathe is when sanding wood. Don't use DC when turning acrylics. I sweep up chips, after turning.
Penn state has DC's with 1 micron bags or cartridge filter.

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
IF you do a search on dustcollectors one of the members (GCS) posted a link to Youtube where he shows a dust collector he made from an attic fan and 20x20 filters just for his lathe. Lathe dust collection this is the link to his post. Mike

Chris88

Lathe large? small? Pens only? bowls hogging wood? these questions make it hard to reccomend a system size...just pens??look at psi they have a little system just for that...Big bowls and lots of sanding? 1-1/2 horse dust collector...need lots of breeze to keep the dust from your face and down your lungs

Sorry I did not put what size. I have a Jet 1220 and for right now it's pens but would like to turn small boxes and bowls but that's much later. I all ways like to get more than I need I would hate to get some thing to small.

rjwolfe3

I bought the portable one from HF and mounted it on the wall next to the lathe just like the Rockler one. It is ok for now but someday I will upgrade it.

arw01

On another forum more slanted to flat work, there was a fellow that had a little sensitivity to CA glue. To solve his dust AND CA problem, he took a cheap BORG box fan, put a good filter on the intake side, then a cheap filter on that and put it a few inches behind his lathe.

This sucked the fumes away from the CA glue, but also pulled all his sanding dust right into the filter material as well.

Cheap, and quite effective.

However, with the dust collector you have, either making a hood like the little PenState one, or buying it seems to make good sense.

nava1uni

I have a set-up that I bought from Clearvue that works great. I learned of it from Bill Pentz's web site. I have it mounted on top of a 5 gallon paint container and use a 12 gallon Rigid Shop vacuum. I have no dust in my shop and I turn pens, bowls, etc. You can see pictures of my set-up http:www.flickr.com/photos/handyrn they are under the shops category.

Chris88

Just give every one a heads up in my quest for a dust collector. I drove 2 hours to the Woodcraft store. The sells person was very nice and answered all of my questions. I bought a Jet DC-650 it's the 1 hp with the canister filter. A long with a dust hood. Now mind you I am only using it on my Jet 1220. Man does this thing work. Before I would have to get my shop vac out and vacuum up the floor and bench and I would have shavings all over me. Now the only shavings I get are some on the lathe. I am very happy with it. :biggrin:

Top Bottom