I have a problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
So today I was doing my first acrylic pen and got everything turned and polished. I went to put it all together and the barrel on the upper portion of the pen was too big. The kit I am using is a slime line. Once I put the top on it just spun around. Is there anything I can do or am I screwed??

BC

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KBs Pensnmore

If you have a vernier caliper check the dimension of the parts, I've had it where the parts are undersize. The part was a nose cone that I now use as a guide to check diameter, using a blank that the other half exploded, gluing the pointy end in the tube and a stuffed transmission in the other end for the centre band diameter checking.
If its not to bad a fit, use a small dab of epoxy to hold it in place, I don't suggest using CA as it might stain the finish.
Kryn

beck3906

I'm assuming your talking about the upper barrel being too loose to grab the transmission once it's inserted into the upper barrel.

If this is the case, use an automatic center punch to make a few dimples around the transmission. This sometime makes up the gap to allow the barrel to get a grip on the transmission. Just be careful where and how you use the center punch. Don't try this on the dining table as the center punch may slip and then punch a hole in the table top. DAMHIKT.

This won't work well if the upper barrel is too loose.

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Have you checked the fit against another transmission to see which is the problem?

Have you checked the fit against another transmission to see which is the problem?

I have checked it with another transmission and it is also too big for that one. It is not just a little big either. I'm not sure how this happened or how to fix it without scrapping the top and redoing it with another blank. That sucks!

PTsideshow

Could you sleeve it with the telescoping brass tubing from K&S at most larger hobby shops. You can solder the number of tubes together so the trans will fit then epoxy the tube into the to large hole.
:clown:

lorbay

I have built up the inside of the tube with a few coats of thin CA in the past. Worked well for me.

Lin.

ALexG

I agree with GaryMGg, I've done tones of slimlines except that the transmission was too stiff, they always have a good grip, you have a different tube, just check with another 7mm tube and place the transmission to see if it fits right

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Surely the loose bushings were a clue that something was wrong? Or that you probably needed a bigger drill to make the hole??:confused:

Surely the loose bushings were a clue that something was wrong? Or that you probably needed a bigger drill to make the hole??:confused:

That's the funny thing about this mess! The bushing fit when I put it on the lathe. I must have done something somewhere along the process. If I slide the top barrel up about half way, it catches just fine. It's when I push it all the down it does do anything but spin around. I will try the CA layers and see if that helps. I did try another slimeline barrel that I have and it fits perfectly! :mad:

Thanks for all the answers!

BC

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
Do you finish between centers, off the bushings? The 60 degree points could have had to much pressure on them and it widened out the ends of the tubes. The fit will be off until it gets further into the tube. DAMHIKT.

Top Bottom