I find it surprising

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

that there are over 10,000 members on this site and only twenty from the entire state of South Dakota.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

omb76

That's pretty much the entire state population isn't it? :biggrin:

I actually love SD and would move up if given the chance... me and winter get along great!

Andrew_K99

If you assume all the members are from the USA (which they are not).

You can use the popular (as per Wikipedia) for South Dakota of 814,180 and of the USA 308,745,538. South Dakota is 0.263706% of the USA. 0.263706% of the IAP would be 26 members.

Taking into account that not all members are from the USA it actually makes sense.

AK

Last edited:

workinforwood

You can use the popular (as per Wikipedia) for South Dakota of 814,180 and of the USA 308,745,538. South Dakota is 0.263706% of the USA. 0.263706% of the IAP would be 26 members.

Taking into account that not all members are from the USA it actually makes sense.

AK

I think that is coincidental. The population of Michigan is less than a majority of states and I think we might have the largest IAP membership, and if not, close to it, and definitely one of the more active memberships in the IAP.

IPD_Mr

AK

I think that is coincidental. The population of Michigan is less than a majority of states and I think we might have the largest IAP membership, and if not, close to it, and definitely one of the more active memberships in the IAP.

I thought that would be Texas.

workinforwood

I don't want to do the leg work searching through the memberships, because I did that a few years back with the trivia contest trying to answer some of those questions and it's a lot of work! Anyone is welcome to prove me wrong, tell me how many we have and who has the most, but until then, I truly believe we have texas outnumbered. :)

Akula

AK

I thought that would be Texas.

TEXAS!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I believe that there are only 3 of us from Wales:rolleyes:
Aren't you lucky!!!! ???:biggrin:

Last edited:

Texatdurango

I don't want to do the leg work searching through the memberships, because I did that a few years back with the trivia contest trying to answer some of those questions and it's a lot of work! Anyone is welcome to prove me wrong, tell me how many we have and who has the most, but until then, I truly believe we have texas outnumbered. :)

Well a quick membership search filtered by state revealed 387 members from Texas and 99 from Micihgan.

Even without a calculator I can see that the Texas contigent has you outnumbered almost 4 to 1!

Of course I believe those 387 and 99 are part of the 10,000 which as we both know isn't any where close to the active membership!

So.........Consider yourself proven wrong!:biggrin:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
A quick search by putting the state in the location blank turns up 387 from Texas and 99 from Michigan, and only 5 from South Dakota

D.Oliver

I guess I put "SD" in for one search and "South Dakota" in for another search and added them together for a total of 20. But Andrew's math is spot on. I started looking at the local chapters forum and seen South Dakota didn't have one. So then I check to see how many member were from South Dakota and realized that the whole state would have to get together to have enought people for a chapter. And Skippy don't worry about only having three members, I'm sure nobody's going to surpass the level of work coming from over there.

D.Oliver

Just another thought. Do you suppose areas that have forest sport more pen turners. I mean sans the Black Hills there aren't much for trees in South Dakota versus say Michigan.

KenV

and with all the states -- depend on how you view "From...."

Been a few years -- but I am "from" South Dakota, and Montana, and.....

You might have to combine with Wyoming, Montana, and North Dakota to form a chapter.

sbwertz

I used to live in ND. No way I would go out to a shop to turn in the winter time. It was 40 below zero out there! SD can't be much warmer. I grew up in Wyoming, Montana, ND, Colorado...I've had enough snow to last me the rest of my life. I can handle 115 here in the summer way better than the cold.

I was in OK for the blizzard there last winter. Nearly froze!

Last edited:

Bobalu

Hate to burst your bubble Jeff, but a quick search of the membership directory shows 387 members listed for Texas and only 99 for Michigan

D.Oliver

Those temps do pose a problem. You can never tell if you tool is chattering because its dull or because of the shivering. That's how you know you're a dedicated turner!

TomW

I just "happen" to know that as of one day last week there were 839 members from Texas. Now if you filter out those who have had no activity since 1/1/2011 (might call them "current") you get 300. If you further use "Tom's close enough algorithm" you will know that there are 96 active members in North Texas (stretching from Wichita Falls to Canton and from Kilieen to Poteet), and we are having a BIG PARTY at Mike's on the 18th! Come see us!

Tom

workinforwood

Ok, I'm definitely wrong, although I thought it would be close as I regularly see a lot of activity from both states, I never thought difference would be so much! However now if we use the original math theoretical formula what happens? I see MI has more people than I thought too, basically 9.9 mil and TX is 25.1 mil which is not 3 or 4 times more people

Andrew_K99

Using the theoretical formula Texas should have ±814 members and Michigan should have 320 members.

This formula assumes the law of averages works for this site, but for these two states it doesn't, this means that 1) there are other states and have a much higher percent of members or 2) using the popular of the USA alone doesn't give an accurate result.

Regardless, it turns out that South Dakota has more members on IAP per capita then Texas or Michigan, who would have guessed that?

AK

Last edited:

Andrew_K99

Well, an update on Texas. I thought I'd see how the number was found so I went, realized an advance search by location was required. Typed in Texas and sure enough 388 members, BUT, I then tried search TX and there is another 444 members!! So there is actually 832 members that are from 'Texas' or 'TX'.
I did the same for 'Michigan' (99), 'MI' 618!!!! So there is really 717 members from Michigan, which allbeit is slightly less than Texas there are more members per capita!

So, using the law of averages South Dakota and Texas are about where they should be, but Michigan has almost twice the theoretical!

AK

Last edited:

Andrew_K99

I found a goof ... in searching 'MI' it found 'mi' in any word or state ... so the actual total for Michigan will be much less. Searching 'Mich' turns up results for 'Mich' and 'Michigan' and was 107.

Top Bottom