I feel like I've been "had"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

MDWine

Did you ever see on like this?

bogus-kit.jpg

I got this kit from a close-out (WARNING NUMBER ONE). The description was only "slimline kit" (WARNING NUMBER TWO).

I got 10 of them, and of course I can't return them, it's a CLOSEOUT!

The tubes are supposed to be 7MM, tapered down to the nib end at 3/16". (mixed standard!!) So, if I'm going to make them work, I have to find a mandrel, or some means to turn them, IF I decide to try to make them.

I complained to the company, so I'll reserve my comments for now, but this is weird as far as I'm concerned.

Did you ever see one like this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob A

You'll need a step drill too. I bought a Euro that had a similar tube. In the defense of the vendor that sold it to me, they clearly had in the catalog that a step drill would be needed, I just didn't read it.

Good luck to you, my good luck was that I only bought one.

jwoodwright

Mike, look like the ShopSmith ones. I still have no idea how to drive the little side. Won't fit on a standard mandrel.

The kits sold with a step drill in catalogs all fit on a standard mandrel.

Ask one of our Machinists make a step mandrel for the 7mm - 3/16 side[?]

Tom Stephens

Originally posted by jwoodwright
<br />Mike, look like the ShopSmith ones. I still have no idea how to drive the little side. Won't fit on a standard mandrel.

The kits sold with a step drill in catalogs all fit on a standard mandrel.

Ask one of our Machinists make a step mandrel for the 7mm - 3/16 side[?]
<b>The kits I am familiar with do not use a standard mandrel.</b>
Here is a link to CSUSA for their mini pen that uses a step drill.
http://tinyurl.com/d9cv7
PSI also sells their version.
They are not too hard to turn.
Tom
Branchport, NY

RPM

How about turning a bushing to fit the ID of the 3/16th and a shoulder to match the nib leaving the bushing solid rather than to fit on a mandrel. Make a small dimple in the outside of the shoulder for the live center. Secure bushing in the blank and the solid side of the bushing in the live center and go for it. Use corian or some other material of choice. If this doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try to clarify.
Richard

PS
Use spacers on the mandrel to have it only ride to the appropriate depth.

JimGo

Have you seen the Clasic Rollerball from CSUSA? It uses a two-step bit, as you can see here:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/pdf/classic_rollerball_pen.pdf

I made the "mistake" of ordering two of these...now I'm not sure when/whether/how to turn them!

So, don't feel TOO bad Michael; I got these straight from CSUSA, not just close-outs.

arjudy

Kit looks similar to the Mini European Pen from CSUSA. It requires a step drill and a drill chuck with mandrel points for turning. I have made a few of these and some people like this size better than the full size Euro.

tipusnr

I bought ten of them a year back. Still have the nibs and bottom tubes but was able to use the rest of the kits. When you press in the top you will still have a hole down the center so will have to turn a small finial of some sort with a tenon you can glue into the hole. Don't remember the size.

I got mine off the internet as well!![:D]

atvrules1

Good luck Michael. Glad there are a few on the forum that can at least identify where to start on a kit like that. When you do figure it out, we'd like to see the finished product.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
arjudy hit the nail on the head. It looks like the mini-european, which had its own mandrel points. The finished pen has a really nice taper, but I never mastered turning with "points", so many of mine came out off-center.

It did sell well (when properly completed)-women with small hands liked the feel. But my personal failure rate was too high.

CSUSA 155-8101 mandrel points-Good luck!

MDWine

Thanks guys... Yeah, I did get them from Shopsmith. What burns me is that they didn't have a picture or a mention that a special mandrel is required. I've sent them the nasty-gram, and am waiting to hear back. I don't know if they'll do anything for me, but it is worth a try. (I do have one offer to buy them, however!)

The design is intriguing, but I'm not sure it is worth the trouble!

We'll see...

(I think I'll stick w/Arizona/CSU/PSI and such from now on![;)]

JimGo

Michael,
You might want to consider buying a cheap mandrel and reshaping it? You can get the mandrel itself from Woodcraft for like $4.

So, are you coming with us to Hagerstown? [:)]

MDWine

Jim, won't be able to make Tom's this weekend... I'm not happy about it either! I have a band event at school with my son. It's our first annual 'Drumline Festival'.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do if I can't get a regular mandrel. I've had an offer, so maybe I'll unload them. I would like to see one finished, the nib is so small, it could be neat.

We'll see how things work out.

its_virgil

Is this the same Shopsmith as in the Mark V tools? If so, watch for the Shopsmith demo at HD or Lowes and maybe the Shopsmith demo guy can help you?
Do a good turh daily!
Don
Originally posted by MDWine
<br />Thanks guys... Yeah, I did get them from Shopsmith. What burns me is that they didn't have a picture or a mention that a special mandrel is required. I've sent them the nasty-gram, and am waiting to hear back. I don't know if they'll do anything for me, but it is worth a try. (I do have one offer to buy them, however!)

The design is intriguing, but I'm not sure it is worth the trouble!

We'll see...

(I think I'll stick w/Arizona/CSU/PSI and such from now on![;)]

elody21

I too have gotten taken on e-bay! Not on pen sets but on boxes. I bought 200 "pen" boxes for a good price but then paid just as much for the postage. When I got them at least 20 were broken and ALL of them had scratches on the front and when I tried to put the slim line pens in they just popped right out!!!!!! The smallest pens did not even fit!!!!!!!!
It was the only time I ever left a bad feed back on e-bay!!! The box they came in smelled musty and it had a newspaper in it from 1985!!!!!!!! So buyer beware!! I have to say
99.8% of the time I have been happy with my purchases

Hey!? Anyone want to buy some "pen" boxes real cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom