I could use help with coffee bean blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaptG

LOML saw a picture of a coffee bean pen and said she would like one. I made six blanks using Alumilite and coffee beans. Look just like the ones in the pictures. OK, how do you keep the beans from flying out or turning to dust while turning? I have tried different tools, all very sharp, changed speeds, tried sanding and that just turned the white alumilite brown. Do the beans need to be treated before casting? A special bean maybe? I am ready to pour some more blanks, but decided to ask if I am missing something. Shop smells good tho. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Gary, I've cast a few dozen blanks and turned a dozen or so and I do two things that I think help. First, I soak the beans in lacquer thinner then dry thoroughly before casting to get rid of most of the oil on/in the beans. Then as Curtis mentioned, I stop every little bit and squirt a little thin CA over the blank and let the beans soak it up. Once turned I do a CA finish on the whole pen as if it were wood.

TomW

There was a posting here somewhere where the user stabilized the beans in ultraseal. May be overkill, but sounds interesting. Anyone got a good recipe for turning the alumilite sort a cream/ivory color?

Tom

Texatdurango

There was a posting here somewhere where the user stabilized the beans in ultraseal. May be overkill, but sounds interesting. Anyone got a good recipe for turning the alumilite sort a cream/ivory color?

Tom
Yeah, use the "regular" alumilite which many refer to as "almond". But be forwarned, it sets up the fastest of all the alumilite resins.

Top Bottom