I can't believe I DID this.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob Wemm

Bob Wemm

I don't know if you people have these "Turbo cutters" over there, but they are the best thing for rapid removal of wood, and make a good accessory for your angle grinder.:)
Before I purchased this one of mine I watch a guy demo it at our Wood Show in Perth last August. I just had to have one.:biggrin:
Yesterday was the second time I used it, because, quite frankly it scared me the first time, but worked to perfection.:mad:
I was working on a piece of Red Flowered Mallee burl on my lathe and that wood was very hard. I decided to use the Turbo-plane and save myself a bit of time and also wear & tear.
Everything went well and very soon I had quite a hollow in the burl. I stopped the lathe to check the progress and decided to see how well it worked with the lathe not spinning. If I held the grinder in the right position it would rotate the wood by itself, nice and slowly.:)
This produced a few rough patches and I decided to hold the blank with my left hand and remove those rough bits.:eek:
WRONG THING TO DO.
Obviously I had the grinder in one hand and the left hand on the edge of the piece of wood. There was a grab and the grinder swung out and hit my hand.
I got such a fright and was unable to look at the damage, because my mind was telling me there were fingers and things on the floor.:eek:
Luckily the only thing I lost was a bit of skin, and when I think of what could have happened, I feel quite sick.:redface:

Moral of the story is hold the angle grinder with BOTH hands, no matter what the situation is.

Bob.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 281
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lucky2

Bob, you were very very lucky to not get injured more then just breaking the skin, those type of cutters are very dangerous and can do a lot of damage in no time. I don't even like the grinder that you use, it's to small for that type of wheel. For that type of wheel, I think that you should be using a 5" grinder with it's side handle attached. And never ever try to use it with just one hand, or it will take off on you. Please be careful.
Len

switch62

Glad to see you're OK.
Sometimes life gives you reminders so worse things don't happen. (happens to me regularly :redface:)
I'm glad it was only a little reminder.

And yes angle grinders can be very scary, especially when they catch.

TonyO

rherrell

I have a similar one for making my rocking chairs and I NEVER use it without the handle.I don't see a handle in the pic but if you have one ...use it...if not then find a bolt that will fit your grinder and make your own, you'll be glad you did.:biggrin:

keithkarl2007

You were very lucky indeed. If you lock the spindle on the lathe you can concentrate on one area at a time and then blend them all in together. The blade your referring to is the Arbortech Turboplaner. Kevin Inkster, the inventor and owner of Arbortech tools demonstrated his tools at our Chapter a few months back. They are great pieces of kit.

NC Wood Art

I had similar issue but I had one of those chain saw blades on the 4" grinder with no guard or handle. I did a very good job of almost removing pointer finger & cut the tendon on left hand. Still have limited use us the hand as a result.

Lesson learned, always use guards, if it needs a side handle use it. AND if it can cut you IT WILL!.

Glad to just got that warning shot.

Bill

Thank the Lord you'er not badly enjured. It is often that moment of not thinking that gets us. I do thank Him for you health. Have "safe' " fun with your new toy. I would like to have one some day.

Bob Wemm

Yeh Guys,
I do have a handle but it is keeping the box company.
It always seemed to be in the way, but now it is attached to the grinder, where it should be.
It's that lapse in concentration that usually does the damage, however this time it was just sheer stupidity. BUT lesson learned.

Bob.

underdog

Glad to know you're ok. I saw a picture of an injury from one of these things, where it took a big chunk out of a guy's neck. A couple mm the other way, and it would have cut the artery and taken his life.

Please be very careful with this tool.

I don't think I'll ever own one because it just scares the stuffin out of me.

Top Bottom