I am not a quitter!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

This pen was nothing more than a trial of my patience from the beginning. It was a pain in the rear to cast the burl blank, had a leak on the pressure pot (did get lucky with minimal air voids-filled with ca and went on), totally destroyed the 1st attempt, took forever to turn, had to redo the CA finish 3 times, and lastly....yes I know that the cap finial belongs to a Jr. Retro. HOW in the hell it got there I have no idea but I didn't notice till after I took these pics :redface: so I'll have to take the darn thing apart and turn an end peice. So after all this...please leave some happy thoughts on my pen. Thanks for looking and letting my vent!

Attachments

• 100_8079.jpg
    100_8079.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 189
  • 100_8081.jpg
    100_8081.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 155
  • 100_8083.jpg
    100_8083.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 100_8086.jpg
    100_8086.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 100_8089.jpg
    100_8089.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 140
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David Keller

It's a nice looking pen, but it sounds like it was a pain in the ass to turn. Good for you for sticking with it.

Craftdiggity

I think it kicks a$$. I was very disappointed this morning when I turned my first burl casting. I got it turned okay and had some minor repair work to do, but the color was crappy. There was no color in some spots as though I didn't mix it well. Also the burl was a middle piece and one side was dead straight and it looked stupid on that side while the other side had a natural look. I was so disgusted I didn't even put the pen together.

Brooks803

It looks real good sir! I like the colors. You didn't say what the burl is that you used.

Thanks! I guess I forgot to give the actual details of the pen huh? This one is brown mallee and I'm using silmar 41 for the resin. You really can't tell from the pics but his is by far the best finish I've done. There are absolutely NONE of those ity bity tiny scratches on this pen. I didn't even use the buffer this time. I did use brand new MM pads. So from now on I'm cleaning my MM every few pens to keep it from getting buildup on it bc I'm sure thats what causes those scratches everyone hates so much. I am a bit dissapointed that the resin is only on that one area but I had already made these before I read that post of yours (jeff powell) about using a typhoon bit to mangle up the burl more. I have 1 stick of this left that is red mallee and I might see if I can't destroy it later!

Top Bottom