I am a jerk and I don't care

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edicehouse

Kelly and I went to a concert Sunday night, and since it was a rare date night, we went to cruise the strip at the beach. While we are driving we see a guy on a bicycle cutting back and forth, and my wife says that is probably alcohol induced. When ever someone slams on their brakes to keep from hitting him, he laughs and looks at the driver. He is also following a cars real close, and just doing that stupid behavior.

After a couple minute I see him following this truck real close into a parking lot for a motel, of course he cut across traffic to do this. Then all of a sudden his front wheel goes down into a storm drain and he flips over his handle bars holding his arm, and yelling in pain.

I am proud to say as we passed him I could not help but laugh like he did to his instant Karma. Does this make me a jerk?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Your not a jerk.

Once in an Ice storm in Neb..........I was passed by a Lincoln Town Car. I was doing about 25mph (the fastest I felt was safe) and he passed my at least doing 50. Now I drive a one ton, crew cab pickup truck with a full load. I know how it acts and behaves on ice. The rain was freezing to the road as fast as it fell. It was glare ice.
5 miles down the road I see the Lincoln way into the ditch. I could see how the car had "fishtailed" off the road. He did well to keep in upright. I stopped and asked "Is everyone alright?" He answered that the family was scared but otherwise OK. I then told him to "Stay there You silly SOB!" And drove off. This was before cell phones. The next town I seen I stop and reported him to the Sherrif. That was as much help as I was going to give him.

I am certain that he called me more then a "JERK" .........I really didn't care.
Karma took him off the road and I am sure it prevented him from Killing someone.
Did he learn anything.......At his age ( I am guessing retired) NOPE.

We all have done some stupid things in our lives. Hopefully, we learned. Sadly, we see others that haven't learned from others.

You are not a jerk........keep smiling

Sappheiros

I get bitter about cyclists in Chicago. They're legally considered vehicles here, but they don't stop at stop signs and don't get ticketed. If they crash into your car, they'd legally be liable. They just don't follow the rules of the road. I'm definitely a believer of the you reap what you sow mentality.

low_48

Not showing any compassion to another human being is a good sign you are correct in your assessment. Surprised you would want to come onto a public forum and brag about it. Shame on you Ed.

Last edited:

Sappheiros

Not showing any compassion to another human being is a good sign you are correct in your assessment. Surprised anyone would want to come onto a public forum and brag about it.

I think we all have different categories of people we show compassion to more or less than others.

low_48

Not showing any compassion to another human being is a good sign you are correct in your assessment. Surprised anyone would want to come onto a public forum and brag about it.

I think we all have different categories of people we show compassion to more or less than others.

So we should be selective to those we want to be compassionate to? Who knows what misery that person may be enduring. Could have been a vet suffering from PTSD, who knows. Laughing at anyone that is injured while you drive by is just plain horrible!

Sappheiros

So we should be selective to those we want to be compassionate to? Who knows what misery that person may be enduring. Could have been a vet suffering from PTSD, who knows. Laughing at anyone that is injured while you drive by is just plain horrible!

In theory, one should have compassion for everyone. In the moment it's not always so easy. It's definitely something I practice, recognizing those I easily hold compassion for and those I do not and spend a moment to contemplate and recenter my thoughts. One doesn't have much control over their immediate response, but afterwards they can contemplate their response.

low_48

In theory, one should have compassion for everyone. In the moment it's not always so easy. It's definitely something I practice, recognizing those I easily hold compassion for and those I do not and spend a moment to contemplate and recenter my thoughts. One doesn't have much control over their immediate response, but afterwards they can contemplate their response.

It's not a theory, it's the most basic of all human teachings. No matter what your religion! We're not just talking about someone that had no compassion, but found joy in another's misfortune, and is bragging about it to others! And of course the ones that come on and agree with his actions and tell their story of lack of compassion amplifies it. The actions horrify me!

Last edited:

edicehouse

Low_48 you know if it was someone that had an accident I would be the first one there to help them. And I see your point about it. I just say if you do something be ready for an opposite force back. I drive down the road and someone is driving almost out of control, and then a mile down the road is getting a ticket....

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I believe in doing Random Acts of Kindness without any expectation of anything in return.

I will not judge you, but I would have been concerned for him.

I have worked with mentally ill folks, homeless folks and hard-working people that just can't get ahead - and would not wish that reality on anyone.

Hopefully, I will not become a person who rides a bike and weaves in and out of traffic because I cannot afford certain medications, or have a better grasp on reality. If I do, maybe someone will give be a helping hand.

edicehouse

I believe in doing Random Acts of Kindness without any expectation of anything in return.

I have worked with mentally ill folks, homeless folks and hard-working people that just can't get ahead - and would not wish that reality on anyone.

Hopefully, I will not become a person who rides a bike and weaves in and out of traffic because I cannot afford certain medications, or have a better grasp on reality. If I do, maybe someone will give be a helping hand.

I think the only loss of grasp on reality was from the PBR.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

I think the only loss of grasp on reality was from the PBR.

You may be correct, or absolutely wrong...

About 28 years I was a counselor in an out-patient clinic in Elizabeth, NJ.. I was beaten -up by a client in one of my groups who was a PCP addict. He cried when he realized what he did, was subsequently sent to prison where he committed suicide after only one day.

Sometimes, folks carry burdens that we are not aware of.

SteveG

We can observe behavior of others, but cannot read their heart. To judge effectively and fairly calls for knowing as much as possible about a whole host of background information. If a situation is urgent, and it is possible to prevent someone from doing harm to themselves or others, it may well be a time to intervene. We each may encounter situations that beg for our attention (and maybe action). Most commonly, notifying the proper authorities will end up being the best course. There are a lot of folks out there in need of a helping hand, and that is frequently not the most obvious sign upon our initial noticing of a situation where things are not quite right.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I hold people responsible for their actions - the drunk, the person with the cell phone text/talking while driving, the person on drugs, and others, but I am quick to go to their aid when in need. The payment for their deeds will be far greater than my consternation to them at that moment. Will I be the one that pulls them out of the pit, so to speak, and effect life changes? I try as much as I can.

On a side note: My family and I moved to Japan in the mid '80s. It took me a few months to adjust. One learning situation was: The smaller the object the greater the right of way. If a bicycle hits a person, the bicycle rider is at fault. If a bicycle rider got hit by a motor scooter, the scooter driver was at fault. If a scooter got hit by a motorcycle, the motorcycle was at fault. Well, this was drummed into me as I had a van. I was going to be liable for most any accident except with a truck!

About 6 months later, I went to Seoul, Korea. I didn't see any bicycles there. As a guest staying in a Korean family's home, I asked: I don't see any bicycles here? Why?

A young man who could speak good English replied: "Simple. You ride bicycle and you get hit by a car, you are dead!"
Me: "But don't you have rules or laws?"
Young Man: "When you are dead, you are dead. Laws only help the dead person's survivors!"

I learned an important safety lesson that day! Watch out for myself AND the other driver.

low_48

Low_48 you know if it was someone that had an accident I would be the first one there to help them. And I see your point about it. I just say if you do something be ready for an opposite force back. I drive down the road and someone is driving almost out of control, and then a mile down the road is getting a ticket....

I don't think you see my point since you feel no remorse. I thought you said he had an accident and yelled out in pain? Why weren't you the first one there? I would also ask the same thing to you and your wife. Since you did nothing, should you not be ready for an opposite force back? I was raised and taught the lessons as a toddler, to help the down trodden, and treat others as I would want them to treat me. I guess we had different upbringing.

Last edited:

gimpy

Hell no, I would have gotten out of the vehicle and claps my hands and tell him how big of a jerk he is/was

CREID

I hold people responsible for their actions - the drunk, the person with the cell phone text/talking while driving, the person on drugs, and others, but I am quick to go to their aid when in need. The payment for their deeds will be far greater than my consternation to them at that moment. Will I be the one that pulls them out of the pit, so to speak, and effect life changes? I try as much as I can.

On a side note: My family and I moved to Japan in the mid '80s. It took me a few months to adjust. One learning situation was: The smaller the object the greater the right of way. If a bicycle hits a person, the bicycle rider is at fault. If a bicycle rider got hit by a motor scooter, the scooter driver was at fault. If a scooter got hit by a motorcycle, the motorcycle was at fault. Well, this was drummed into me as I had a van. I was going to be liable for most any accident except with a truck!

About 6 months later, I went to Seoul, Korea. I didn't see any bicycles there. As a guest staying in a Korean family's home, I asked: I don't see any bicycles here? Why?

A young man who could speak good English replied: "Simple. You ride bicycle and you get hit by a car, you are dead!"
Young Man: "When you are dead, you are dead. Laws only help the dead person's survivors!"

I learned an important safety lesson that day! Watch out for myself AND the other driver.
I was walking across a parking lot at a strip mall one day and this lady walked right in front of a car. When she almost got hit, she said. I would have sued him if he hit me. I said. You can't sue someone when your dead. So she said. Then my relatives would have sued him.

1080Wayne

I was walking across a parking lot at a strip mall one day and this lady walked right in front of a car. When she almost got hit, she said. I would have sued him if he hit me. I said. You can't sue someone when your dead. So she said. Then my relatives would have sued him.

Dare I suggest a family of lawyers ?

jttheclockman

I think we have all seen dumb things on the road. It was one winter a few years ago. I was on a major highway and got on an off ramp to get onto a different major highway. There was a white van in front of me that could not decide if he wanted to take the off ramp so I was watching him closely. In the mean time a 4 wheel drive chevy came up behind me and was now riding my tail. He seemed to be in a hurry. While I was still watching the guy in front of me this idiot decided he was going to pass me. We were still in the off ramp lane and there was mounds of snow between us and the major highway. Well this guy decides to ride through those mounds because he has 4 wheel drive. He hits those piles and looses control of the vehicle and and it fishtails all the way across the highway and hit the concrete medium.

I looked back and just smiled and said to myself justice has been served. He was not hurt but I saw he had to climb out the passenger side door. He was lucky no one was coming down that highway at the time. People need to take account for their own actions and rely on others to look out for them.

CREID

Dare I suggest a family of lawyers ?

I doubt it. I see this a lot and and this is not the first time I have heard someone say that. My point was that there is a lot of stupid people out there.

Ric

YUP !!!! You who saw an idiot get exactly what he deserved. The best part in all of this is, you didn't have to do a thing to make this happen, the "Brain-dead Road Weenie" did it all to himself.
That sounds a little hard, but there are far too many people out there lately that have the attitude of "Hey, as long as I'm alright, to hell with everyone else."
This seems to be there "credo" these days that people look out for only themselves & have no compassion for anyone else at all.
You see it every day as we go about our routine. Things like, you're stopped at a traffic light, it's busy, the other direction has the green & then it suddenly turns yellow, a few more cars go through, which they are not supposed to, but then the light turns red & there is always this idiot, now quite often two, who do not want to stop. They will run that red light knowing that you won't intentionally hit them.
I'm sure if you take a look around your day would be full of examples of things just like this, inconsiderate, self-centred, blockheads who only care for themselves.
Well I'm glad to say that this time the person that was "wronged" has the advantage, & the oppressor got his comeuppance............ Karma's a bitch !

"IF LIFE HANDS YOU LEMONS...MAKE MOJITOS"

Ambidex

I don't think you're a jerk at all Ed. Also didn't think you were "bragging". Unlike some of the holier than thou members here, I believe there's more aholes out there than people struggling with life, under meds, or mentally unstable. Putting up with people that endanger others because of whatever reason is a ridiculous assessment of compassion. What if someone that was being swerved at by this moron either slammed on their brakes and had a rearend or worse yet crossed the line and got hit by oncoming traffic? What happened if some young child was run over by a motorist trying to avoid hitting said moron? Others here are judging you on your reaction without thinking of the consequences that he could have caused. That alone, thinking of what could have happened, would be enough for me to at least smirk at the idiot.

I won't say you were wrong in not stopping to help, not sure but what I might have done the same thing, but there are states out there where you could have been ticketed for not stopping to render aid.... and there are states that will allow the accident victim to sue those who do stop and render aid.... a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation...go figure.

CREID

YUP !!!! You who saw an idiot get exactly what he deserved. The best part in all of this is, you didn't have to do a thing to make this happen, the "Brain-dead Road Weenie" did it all to himself.
That sounds a little hard, but there are far too many people out there lately that have the attitude of "Hey, as long as I'm alright, to hell with everyone else."
This seems to be there "credo" these days that people look out for only themselves & have no compassion for anyone else at all.
You see it every day as we go about our routine. Things like, you're stopped at a traffic light, it's busy, the other direction has the green & then it suddenly turns yellow, a few more cars go through, which they are not supposed to, but then the light turns red & there is always this idiot, now quite often two, who do not want to stop. They will run that red light knowing that you won't intentionally hit them.
I'm sure if you take a look around your day would be full of examples of things just like this, inconsiderate, self-centred, blockheads who only care for themselves.
Well I'm glad to say that this time the person that was "wronged" has the advantage, & the oppressor got his comeuppance............ Karma's a bitch !

"IF LIFE HANDS YOU LEMONS...MAKE MOJITOS"

I like to call these people OBlivions, people who think their the only ones that matter.

Top Bottom