I ALMOST GIVE UP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drcal

Drcal

I have progressed over the past 2-5 years in pen turning, but I have regressed in making bottle stoppers- the chrome type with a 3/8 in X 16 threaded stud. 4 out of 5 of my tries don't work. The problem is in mounting it on the lathe.
  • I use a MT#2 mandrel with the proper 3/8X16 thread from Arizona Silhouette.
  • I drill a 23/64 hole
  • I tap it carefully using a ratcheting tap recommended to me by Ed Davidson
  • I use the tailstock when I start turning
Sometimes when I go to mount the blank to the mandrel it spins from the onset, sometimes it starts to spin when I am half-finished.

I can get a stopper out of the session but I can never remove the tailstock so I can never do fun stuff n the top of the stopper.

I have tried smaller holes but, at the end, then I cannot get the blank off the mandrel.

I have tried putting thin CA on the threads, but it still spins.
I have tried putting thin CA on the threads, tapping it again, but it still spins.

I have thought about turning the blank on a 3/8 inch pin chuck and then gluing the threaded stud into the blank but I am not sure if that will hold.

I would appreciate any advice.

I have watched videos on YouTube.
I have read everything on the subject.
I have thrown things around my shop and I have prayed, but nothing works. Help!

Carmen
Tampa Bay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David Keller

I might try a smaller hole and wax on the threads to facilitate removal of the finished piece. I've never used the tap when I make them that way, but I'm not sure that would make a big difference.

monophoto

Sounds like the problem is that your threads are stripping.

You can always drill out the hole, glue in a dowel, and then redrill.

My experience (somewhatly limited) is that harder woods need a larger hole to avoid stripping, and aren't picky about the number of times you screw the blank onto the mandrel.

Also, it's helpful to have a sharp tap. I have two taps, one of which is well used and a bit dull. My experience with it is not as happy as with the sharper tap.

You may find that using a new 3/8" bolt (with sharp threads) works as well as using a tap.

Sometimes, it's helpful to drill the pilot hole, and then squirt some thin CA into the hole to strengthen the sides before threading.

Finally, I always use a small scrap of MDF as a waste block so that I can use the live center on the tailstock to lock in the workpiece while roughing it into a cylinder. I glued a bit of coarse sandpaper on the face of the MDF so that it 'grabs' the workpiece. Once the cylinder is round, I back off the tailstock.

deweed

Carmen,
Experiment with a 5/16 hole and then tapping. The 23/64 is too large IMO and then when you tap it then it's really large. I use the 5/16" hole on all of mine and had no problems with spinning.
Duane

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
It may be overkill, but both before and after I tap, I put a couple drops of thin CA in the hole. I then run the tap in again to clean up the threads that have been filled in with CA. This make it like tapping plastic rather then wood.

Like Duane, I use a 5/16 drill for the 3/8-16 threads

nava1uni

I had the same problem, but then read on here about the 5/16" hole and it really works great. When they have been too big I just glue in a 3/8" dowel and turn it then drill out the dowel and glue in the stopper.

fernhills

I use a 11/32 seems to work. I have a PSI chuck and i use that with the tail stock snugged up in the beginning. Before that i used a regular Jacobs chuck with a draw bar. You have to make sure your hole is drilled straight and then tapped straight. I don`t make bottle stoppers but i do a lot of shaving brushes, same method. Good luck. Carl

randyrls

• I drill a 23/64 hole

I can get a stopper out of the session but I can never remove the tailstock so I can never do fun stuff n the top of the stopper.

I have tried smaller holes but, at the end, then I cannot get the blank off the mandrel.

Carmen; You are about to get a whole chorus of replies, but that 23/64" drill bit is much too big. Use a 5/16" drill bit (no larger than 21/64"). A strap wrench works well to remove the mandrel chuck from the stopper.

rjwolfe3

I use a bottle stopper mandrel to do my fridge magnet. I drill with a 21/64". I don't tap the hole if it is wood, just thread the blank on by hand. However I have a heck of a time getting the darn thing back off once I have it finished. I have tried a strap wrench but it leaves a black mark on the finish. I put blue painters tape on the piece and then tried it but then the tape gets smeared all over the finish. I haven't found a solution but I am going to keep trying.

livertrans

I use a 11/32 drill bit to drill the hole. I have made many bottle stoppers and other items and have never had a problem in either wood or acrylic. When you tap you need to keep on backing the tap out a couple of threads every now and then or the chips will make your threads over size.

JeremyJ

Some times locktite works well if you have some that are already drilled and you don't want to plug them.

aggromere

I think I have the same setup from AS. I was stripping the threads on my first few attempts. I mount the blank in my chuck and drill the hole, then put the tap in the drill chuck on the tailstock and bring it up to the hole. I think hand turn the headstock as I slowly (i mean slowly) advance the tap. Once I reach the desire depth, I back it out very, very slowly by turning the headstock wheel in the opposite direction. I then put the bottle mandrel from AS in my collet chuck screw on the blank and turn it. Hope that helps. I've only made about 10 stoppers though so I could just be getting lucky.

nava1uni

I use a bottle stopper mandrel to do my fridge magnet. I drill with a 21/64". I don't tap the hole if it is wood, just thread the blank on by hand. However I have a heck of a time getting the darn thing back off once I have it finished. I have tried a strap wrench but it leaves a black mark on the finish. I put blue painters tape on the piece and then tried it but then the tape gets smeared all over the finish. I haven't found a solution but I am going to keep trying.

Try putting a small plastic washer between the stopper and the back end of the mandrel. I have used one for this purpose with good results. I just turned it until it matched the mandrel and didn't cause any difficulty with the stopper diameter at the end.

Daniel

If the stopper is made from wood I would not tap it. Just thread the mandrel into the hole. The size of hole would be determined by how hard or soft the wood is. In short I want it to be really screwed in tight. like maybe the last half turn the blank has to be held in a vice tight. At least in my mind I imagine all this pressure is crushing the wood fibers and making them even more solid. as for plastics. I think I would at least tap them a size or so small and still make the mandrel a very tight fit. I don't think you will get the same effect though. Otherwise drill it out and add a wood plug and proceed as if it is wood. remember though the pressure on the wood is being transfered to the acrylic, don't crack it.

rjwolfe3

Try putting a small plastic washer between the stopper and the back end of the mandrel. I have used one for this purpose with good results. I just turned it until it matched the mandrel and didn't cause any difficulty with the stopper diameter at the end.

These are for the fridge magnets. I don't thread this all the way done to the end of the mandrel. The problem me thinks is the wood is too tight on the threads and because it is such a small item there isn't enough grip available to get it off of the threads.

Top Bottom