Hybrid mini cone box & w/shop pictures

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from George Watkins

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turncrazy43

You did a great job on the blank and the finished box George. We always enjoy seeing your pieces.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
George, can you tell us about your lathe please? It looks like the one Noah used to build his ark. :)
Is that a bearing oiler that the box is sitting on and what is that gizmo behind the chuck? Is it copier or something?

thank you

its a VB36 lathe- I bought it new 11 years ago- the box is sitting on an oiler, it uses two sets of plain sleeve bearings (I think that's the correct description) set 17" apart, it was designed by and made in the u.k by the late Nigel Voisey (the V part) and Roger Buse (the B part of the name) Nigel was a woodturner Roger was the engineer and they put their heads together to solve some of the common lathe problems.

It has a 36" swing as standard (the final piece of the name puzzle!!) a 2HP motor although a 3HP is available.
It weighs around 300KG and I've turned everything on it from pens and thimbles to whole tree trunks weighing in at over 100KG. simply superb lathe which doesn't shake, judder etc I really like how I can turn 12" to 24" off the nose with no tailstock support.

I think the "gizmo behind chuck" is the tailstock which swings down out of the way- its another clever design as it uses a hollow tube under tension to allow no floor support

here's a pic of the tailstock in use

and the same blank mounted on a 6" faceplate being turned without tailstock support due to the fantastic bearings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom