Hunter-27’s PITH Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from islandturner

islandturner

Back on May 3, Landon (aka Hunter-27) posted details regarding the Spring 2011 PITH pen contest. We learned that the medium from which our pens were to be created, was 'pine'. He took a good deal of (mostly) good natured abuse for that that choice. My name was under his on the PITH list, so I waited with great anticipation to see what the guy who'd chosen pine, would do with it.

It was a long wait – absolutely no fault of his. Our Canadian postal corporation went on strike for a month right in the middle of the PITH event. Landon contacted me on June 1, letting me know the pen was ready to go when the strike was over – that wasn't to be until late June. Then, Canada Post proceeding with their usual lightning efficiency, took over three weeks to get it to my door. But it's finally here.

Check out this truly elegant pen that he's created. The kit is a Majestic Squire Gold & Black TN Ballpoint Twist which compliments perfectly the knotted pine barrel. The joinery is perfect, and the finish exactly the way I like it. The refill is an Easyflow 9000.

5976789116_1796e93310_z.jpg
5976789748_5d9a784bf3_z.jpg

In addition, I found an additional eight blanks in the package – assortment of woods and PR – so I'll have some fun seeing what's inside them. (One of the PR blanks seems to have wheat heads cast inside – is that what it is Landon?)

5976225365_efa68e22c5_z.jpg

My considerably better half took one look this pen and its Swarovski Crystal – I don't think it's going to survive in my special collection. I believe it's destined for her fancy writing desk.

So many thanks Landon – you proved that a highly desirable heirloom pen can be created from a piece of lowly pine.

Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
In addition, I found an additional eight blanks in the package – assortment of woods and PR – so I'll have some fun seeing what's inside them. (One of the PR blanks seems to have wheat heads cast inside – is that what it is Landon?)

5976225365_efa68e22c5_z.jpg

Steve
They are not wheat heads but rather baby hemlock pine cones. That particular cast was an experiment that you my friend are the test subject for.:biggrin: I cast 3 blanks and I have not turned the one I have left so please post pics when you do. It was not the look I was after but sometimes you are pleasantly surprised with mistakes. Sometimes not. Only time will tell. I'll leave the black cast a secret until you turn it, I'll bet you can then figure it out. Thanks for posting a great photo. I do not have the skill or set up to take one that nice. Glad it made it there, eventually anyway.

Top Bottom