How would "you" finish bright brass?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JD Combs Sr

I am converting an empty 30-06 cartridge to a bullet pen. I am using this kit:

(THIS IS NOT MY PEN, ONLY THE PICTURE THAT THE VENDOR SHOWS WITH THE KIT.)

I will be using every thing in the kit except the casing shaped tube. This is a progress photo I sent to the customer. She gave me the casing because it was her fathers and she wants to give it to him for fathers day as gift pen.

IMG_1632b.jpg
All the markings and labeling are for the customers benefit.

The real casing of course does not have any protective coating on it. after I get it more or less shined up (I am leaving some distress on it) what would you recommend that I coat it with to keep it from tarnishing?
confused.gif

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

I generally powder-coat my bullet pen kits, but I also offer no finish (just in case the customer likes tarnish) and brass-lacquer. Brass lacquer is not as durable as powder-paint, but it does not require a powder-coat gun nor oven.

Regards,
Eric

PenMan1

I use Brasso or Flitz with micromesh to 12000 and just leave it that way. Brass keeps tarnishing no matter what "coating" I put over the top of it. That way when it does tarnish, I can clean it with more Brasso, Semi-Chrome or Flitz and a fiber towel.

A tip....Once you use flitz or metal polish on the mm pads, I seperate these pads and only use them for metal. Flitz makes a big ole mess over CA.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I generally powder-coat my bullet pen kits, but I also offer no finish (just in case the customer likes tarnish) and brass-lacquer. Brass lacquer is not as durable as powder-paint, but it does not require a powder-coat gun nor oven.

Regards,
Eric
Ditto. PC or no finish.

DurocShark

No finish here (I don't do casings, but I do use a lot of brass). I instruct my customers to use Brasso if it tarnishes.

JD Combs Sr

Regards,
Eric

Powder coat is what most here use .

Thanks for all the helpful hints guys. I ended up using CA just as I do on my wooden pens mainly because I already had it.
biggrin.gif

Thanks Sylvanite I will be checking into powder coating for future use. I have this same posting on the IAP sight and probably 95% of the recommendations are to use powder coating.

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom