how to tell if this is BLO

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ZanderPommo

i just bought some lindseed oil from hobby lobby marked to be used as oil painting medium. is this BLO? is there a way to find out? if its not boiled will it still work for applying CA finishes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
While I don't know for certain, I think that is different and it would not be wise to use. Someone who knows for sure will chime in soon.

Mark

Found this on Rockler.

"Boiled" Linseed Oil contains additives that make it dry faster than raw linseed oil. Great for all wood surfaces. Can also be used as an additive to improve the flow and gloss of oil based paint.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't answer your question, but I'm guessing the regular linseed oil would just take longer to dry than the BLO you might be used too. Regular linseed oil is listed as being used on wood "finishing" such as gunstocks.

Hopefully someone else will know if the CA will have a problem with the regular LO.

Last edited:

KenV

I use tru-oil (polymerized linseed oil without the dryers) with no problems. I do not like the stuff that causes fires to even be in the house.

dogcatcher

I use tru-oil (polymerized linseed oil without the dryers) with no problems. I do not like the stuff that causes fires to even be in the house.

You might want to check on that, Birchwood Tru-oil is oil and varnish based. Not sure but I believe they are capable of spontaneous combustion.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Linseed oil and boiled linseed oil are NOT the same. They do both contain the same
linseed oil, but boiled linseed oil contains dryers, usually some sort of metals.
The linseed oil won't dry as fast. (some say never) The linseed oil you purchased is
used to make paints. Some say that the oil paints never completely dry. I don't know
if that's true, the person who told me that also told me that it is aerodynamically
impossible for a bumblebee to fly. (yet it does, so what does that tell you?)

Any hardware store would have it .. or Walmart or Home Despot .. True Value etc.
They keep it near the paint thinner, denatured alcohol, naptha, brush cleaner, paint
strippers etc..

Ken is right about it being flammable. When the air hits it, it will generate heat.
Remember the stories about 'oily rags' that catch fire spontaneously? This is the
stuff that does it. Wash out the rag with soap and water, then put them outside
to dry. Then they should be fine to put in the trash.

Top Bottom