How to - Segmented Blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jptruett

Thus far I have only turned blanks of solid wood. I look at many of your segmented pens and just drool! I know nothing about getting started with segmented wood. Is there a site that will explain how to do it?

Thanks,

Jerry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMGg

Jerry,

Segmenting is "basically" cutting pieces to fit and gluing them together without gaps prior to turning the blank. I put basically in quotes because some of us have been having fun debating and attempting to create a more formal lexicon for terms we throw around here.

The library contains numerous articles regarding how to make some of the specific blanks you see which become segmented pens. Here's a link to the Library Index:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31215

Some of us have posted safety devices and jigs to use in conjunction with the tools used to make these blanks. This thread contains info on jigs when the tool being used is a (Compound) Miter saw:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31138

The table saw is my tool of choice -- and everyone has their own favorite tool -- but when I use a CMS, this is the jig I use

2008112143058_IMG_4577.jpg

2008112142524_IMG_4578.jpg

Note the clamp allows me to keep my hands completely clear of all spinning metal and the base forms a true Zero-tolerance throat plate, thus eliminating flying objects known as offcuts -- or the sliver we're trying to make ;)

NB: The clamp in the photos above is a De-Sta-Co brand. It and many other configurations are available from that manufacturer and are resold by Lee Valley, Hartville Tool, and I'd expect, many other vendors.

If you've done any flatwork, it'll be natural for you. If you've not done any other woodworking, segmenting blanks is a great intro to the other slippery slope. My advice is to do some reading, visit someone at their shop if possible and always, always, always practice safety first. [^]
Cheers,
Gary

winpooh498

When we made our first segmented pens we had no idea what we were doing and made it up as we went.

Here are the basic steps we took:

1) We got the blanks we wanted to segment, and a pen kit.

2) We drilled a hole as far into the uncut blank that our drill
press would allow.

3) Set the cms to 45*, and started cutting the wood into different
sized slices. (use something like Gary's PLEASE)

4) sand the tube(s ), dry fit your cut pieces to figure out the
pattern you want.

5) we use CA for segmenting, so this step is when you glue your
fingers to the wood, tube, workbench, each other, etc
in other words. Be careful! Just put a little glue inside
the hole of the first piece of wood, slide it on, put glue
on the next piece and on the surface between, press together
till set enough to hold or I sprayed the outside with a
little accelerator to keep the pieces from moving around.
I use a plastic bag from a kit under my work, so that it
won't stick to the bench when I set it down.

6) when cured turn into a pen.

Good luck, it is a lot of fun. By the way we still make a few segments this way.

The most important step is be safte. The next important one is have fun and let your imagination run free. The next is POST pictures, so we can see it.

Daniel

You almost have to see segmenting done to understand how it is done. to create segmented designs requires some pretty fancy mental gymnastics as well. the ability to visialize haw one shape will transform to anouther in cross section or any given angle of cross section will give you headaches.
Example: I can glue a bunch of 1/8 thick pieces of wood together then cut through the resulting blank at a 45 degree angle. this will give me a blank of diaganal stripes. I can then cut that length wise down the middle. move one half to the oposite side of the other piece and glue together to get diaganal stripes that meet in the middle of the blank in a V.
An O can look something like an X two V's become a diamond shape and on and on. any basic shape you can make with saws, drills or other cutting tool can be seperated and reformed to make other shapes.
One suggestion I have not seen made about segmenting pen blanks. think about working with large pieces of wood so you have safe material to work with. in the end you will have several blanks rather than just one and you will still have all your fingers.

Kadmos

Segments can be as simple or as tricky as you like, I've only done a few and it's a real blast (as well as extremely frustrating at times).

For starting off the easiest in my opinion is just to miter cut some blanks and glue in some veneer between them. YOu can get some nice bands, slants, knots, or whatever crazy pattern you like.

Just glue up with simple yellow glue (tightbond II is what I use).

I commonly do a walnut pen and some walnut veneer sandwitched between maple (cheap veneers).

If you are working more in blocks or strips it is more important to make sure all parts are flat and level, but with veneers this isn't such a problem.

One thing few people mention that might save some frustration, don't glue light colored woods to other really light colored woods at first (I did some maple to maple) glue lines are horrendous.

darrylm

Here's my first IAP post! YEAH!!

anyway... I'm working on a new segmented pen right now. I have my two blanks completed, so the rest shouldn't really be any different than making a standard pen (I hope!!).

Here's a shot of the two blanks:
200811442633_segmentedtwist.jpg

Here's a link to a tutorial of sorts that I put together.
http://darrylmasterson.com/Documents/segmented twisted pen.doc

hope this helps a little (and more importantly, I hope it makes sense!)

GaryMGg

Aaron,
Thanks. It's simple yet effective; making that was 20 minutes tops.
It's the prototype -- I'm going to make a nice one with a T-slot and flip-up stop block on the offcut side and I've got a few other ideas in mind for it.
One thing is key -- no matter where you work, build jigs to do it safely with repeatable accuracy. :D;)

jhs494

When I do segmenting I make long strips of contrasting colors and then cut them into the short lengths from these long strips and then turn them to make the steps, gluing as I go. This pic shows the long strips I start with.

Top Bottom