How to put a 200 pound machine up on a stand?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mewell

Here's the solution we found to lift our "steal of a deal" Jet Sander from Craigslist ... LOML and I can't lift 200 pounds between us and no neighbors were home.

I drilled a 3/8" hole in the floor joist above the shop and put in an eye-bolt. From that, I hung a block and tackle that is used to dress out deer that we bought at Sportsmen's Warehouse. I was able to lift the load while Dawn positioned the stand below :D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

Definitely much "cheaper" than finding a 'new wife.'

Be sure if you use the hook again that you do not exceed the weight limitation. I had a neighbor that tried to use an un-welded hook in the same manner as you did and he lost his left foot due to the collapse of the hook and the anvil fell on him. He is most miserable now as we can all imagine.

Firefyter-emt

Yea, I have a set up in my ceiling to hook a 1 ton chain fall from. (lots of bracing and spanning 12 rafters) I would not hang a ton from it, but I have used it to pull many car motors and a coats 10-10 tire machine with it. [:D]

Rifleman1776

Glad it worked. Those hardware store eye bolts are made from some pretty soft steel. I would not have trusted 200 pounds to a 3/8" one. I have had 1000 pound cows straighten out 1/2" eye bolts.

TheHeretic

It all depends on where youget the eyebolt. I do know that a 1/2 inch will hold the weight but it usually needs to be made in the US as many of the ones out of the far east dont do testing. Or just go and get a Grade 8 eyebolt.

But we all learn how to do it. Just try not to crush your hands or feet while learning.

Dean
Columbus OH

elfworks00

If you need to lift and move heavy objects frequently, check out HF's hydralic tables. The table has two fixed casters and two revolving casters. The table uses a foot pump to raise the table and a handle release to lower the table.

We bought one to move our embroidery machine to our new house. We had help to get it in the back of the Outback but, no help on the other end. We rolled the table up to the back of the car. Raised the table level with the floor. We slid the machine out of the car onto the table on a piece of cardboard. We then rolled the cart up a plywood ramp into the shop. Once inside we raised the table up to the height of the stand and slid the machine onto the stand.

Since then we have found multiple uses for the table. sure makes life easier!

Doug Rogers

rherrell

I run a crane truck and wouldn't use an eye bolt to lift ANYTHING. However, you usually get into trouble when you put lateral pressure on an eye bolt and in this case you lifted straight up.
Good thinking to get yourself out of a jam!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom