How to keep our capped pens closed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

Also, could you comment on how the silicone handles long term use like this? Somehow I missed this lovely thread :frown: and this is a great idea.

I've never used these kit before but I just was wondering why would they continue to sell them if this is a common issue? That is great that there is a solution, but in theory.... you shouldn't have to deal with a problem like that.

It is a common issue and it boggles me why they don't come up with something to fix it. Not enough people complaining (respectfully) about it.

I've seen situations where we can make enough noise about a situation that it gets changed. Berea's Churchill and El Grande used to have problems with the nibs breaking off (thin plastic couplers) but after we had a nice thread here about it, they magically decided to start including metal couplers in the packs. Problem solved :D.

In all reality, this issue with our pens opening in our pockets is fairly easily solved by using a small leather pen pouch, which I do when carrying a FP. Most of my customers leave their FP's at their desk anyhow, so it works out at this point. I use mostly Barons but they are one of the more easy ones to have accidental openings.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Well, sorry for not answering a few questions in a timely manner, I guess it shows that I'm not a "regular" anymore! :)

First, below is one of the original photos I posted showing the little silicone rings I made. I probably mentioned somewhere that it probably doesn't matter what brand of adhesive you use BUT in another thread it appears that some are having problems with their little seals falling out so I want to add the following.

"Silicones" may vary from brand to brand and I only tried the black "Permatex" sealant and one of the pens I made a seal for is one that I use on a regular basis and it is still intact after 1 1/2 years. It's probably been opened and closed 6,317 times since the seal was made and it still holds the cap on snugly.

The only thing I can say is that I have done this little modification to well over 100 pens and I haven't heard back from anyone about their seal coming loose or falling out so I can only ASSUME that the seals are all still working.

Last year I made a piercing tool from a dental drill which uses really tiny burrs and I got to thinking one day......... why not roughen up the inside surface where the silicone is applied to give the compound a little extra surface grit to "grab onto" rather than the slick plated surface. I don't know, that might have helped a lot but I have no comparison data to prove it one way or another.

That's about it, try it if you like or don't, I don't care, it won't bother me either way, I'm just sharing something that works for me!

Attachments

• oringcollection.jpg
    oringcollection.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 306

alphageek

Former Moderator
Thanks for the update George... Something to add to my next hardware store trip...

I only hope I can make it look nearly as neat as yours.

Dean

jttheclockman

Just another one of these annoying things we need to modify on kits that are not cheap. It is ashame. Thanks for the reply.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Quote:
I use on a regular basis and it is still intact after 1 1/2 years. It's probably been opened and closed 6,317 times since the seal was made and it still holds the cap on snugly.

Now I KNOW you are retired and have nothing to do, but I don't think you can remember enough to keep count, so WHERE DID YOU FIND A LITTLE COUNTER-THINGY!!!!

I WANT ONE!!!

Thanks!!!
And thanks for coming back to shed more light on this, George---you're ok!!

BigguyZ

I see now- so the silicone isn't really on the THREADS, but on the mating surface for the cap? That makes sense.

The roughing idea makes sense. I assume you haven't had any issues with the scratches causing the plating to come off?

patsikes

I have done several fountain pens with this trick (clear GE silicone). A couple have come out but they did it in the first couple of re-capings so I was able to re-do them.

I think it may be with the fact that when you use your finger to flatten the bead, you need to make sure it gets the air out from behind the silicone.

Texatdurango

I see now- so the silicone isn't really on the THREADS, but on the mating surface for the cap? That makes sense.

The roughing idea makes sense. I assume you haven't had any issues with the scratches causing the plating to come off?

I dug up another photo showing me applying the sealant. Notice that this was before scratching the inside with a burr. I cleaned the part with alcohol then put a thin bead directly from the tube where I cut as small a hole as possible.

After applying the sealant I wet my finger with good ole saliva THEN when the bead was smooth, I would take a Q-tip and run around the inner edge to pick up any excess sealant.

After a while I found that a thinner bead (shown) worked just as well as a thicker bead and wonder if the thicker bead may be the cause of failures reported by some.

Haven't had any issues with the plating flaking off. The burrs I use are REAL tiny and I don't get anywhere near any edge that would not be covered with sealant.

Attachments

• sealant-on.jpg
    sealant-on.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 166

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hmmm

Thanks for the great suggestion, George. My FP has been driving me crazy lately with the cap coming loose, especially on days when I don't have a shirt pocket and carry it in the pocket of my slacks.
I think you will be pleased with the results. Speaking of carrying a pen around your pants pocket..... This is the best friend your pen will ever have! When I leave the house, usually in shorts or bluejeans, this baby goes with me, and has for almost a year now and with a rub of a clean cloth can be placed next to any shiny new pen and hold it's own!

They really keep a pen looking new and of course the side benefit of people noticing when you pull it out of your pocket to use the pen, usually making a comment like "Wow, what a nice pen" to which you just have to reply as you hand it to them to examine "Oh this ole thing... I make these!" :)

penpouch.jpg

Do you think you'd be able to say that if it shared that pocket with my key ring with about a dozen keys, pocket knife, Zippo lighter, and loose change. If you can, you have one heck of a tough pen there.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Good idea

That's a good idea.

You know though, it seems to me it is solving a problem that should not exist. They have been making fountain pens with screw on caps for darn close to 100 years if not for 100 years and you'd think by now everybody in the world would have figured out how to keep the caps from coming off in the pocket.

1080Wayne

That's a good idea.

You know though, it seems to me it is solving a problem that should not exist. They have been making fountain pens with screw on caps for darn close to 100 years if not for 100 years and you'd think by now everybody in the world would have figured out how to keep the caps from coming off in the pocket.

We consumers are the problem ! We buy , and don`t complain . The problem is easily solved by going to a single start thread . The manufacturers believe that we are more concerned about having a cap which can be rapidly removed than we are about having one which is secure in our pockets .

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hmmm

Quote:
I use on a regular basis and it is still intact after 1 1/2 years. It's probably been opened and closed 6,317 times since the seal was made and it still holds the cap on snugly.

Now I KNOW you are retired and have nothing to do, but I don't think you can remember enough to keep count, so WHERE DID YOU FIND A LITTLE COUNTER-THINGY!!!!

I WANT ONE!!!

Thanks!!!
And thanks for coming back to shed more light on this, George---you're ok!!
I wonder if it is open or closed now...that of course is 12634 operations plus the number of times opened and closed since the post.

Texatdurango

Thanks for the great suggestion, George. My FP has been driving me crazy lately with the cap coming loose, especially on days when I don't have a shirt pocket and carry it in the pocket of my slacks.
I think you will be pleased with the results. Speaking of carrying a pen around your pants pocket..... This is the best friend your pen will ever have! When I leave the house, usually in shorts or bluejeans, this baby goes with me, and has for almost a year now and with a rub of a clean cloth can be placed next to any shiny new pen and hold it's own!

They really keep a pen looking new and of course the side benefit of people noticing when you pull it out of your pocket to use the pen, usually making a comment like "Wow, what a nice pen" to which you just have to reply as you hand it to them to examine "Oh this ole thing... I make these!" :)

penpouch.jpg

Do you think you'd be able to say that if it shared that pocket with my key ring with about a dozen keys, pocket knife, Zippo lighter, and loose change. If you can, you have one heck of a tough pen there.

Not so tough, just well protected! The sad thing about the internet is things never remain intact! Did you notice the little red x below the text? Well, there used to be a photo there! I was talking about how nice the leather pouches were and how they kept the pen looking like new.

I have a snakewood emperor that goes everywhere with me.... in my pants pocket, going a little over two years now, not a scratch and it looks as good as it did the day I made it!

Manny

Well, sorry for not answering a few questions in a timely manner, I guess it shows that I'm not a "regular" anymore! :)

First, below is one of the original photos I posted showing the little silicone rings I made. I probably mentioned somewhere that it probably doesn't matter what brand of adhesive you use BUT in another thread it appears that some are having problems with their little seals falling out so I want to add the following.

"Silicones" may vary from brand to brand and I only tried the black "Permatex" sealant and one of the pens I made a seal for is one that I use on a regular basis and it is still intact after 1 1/2 years. It's probably been opened and closed 6,317 times since the seal was made and it still holds the cap on snugly.

The only thing I can say is that I have done this little modification to well over 100 pens and I haven't heard back from anyone about their seal coming loose or falling out so I can only ASSUME that the seals are all still working.

Last year I made a piercing tool from a dental drill which uses really tiny burrs and I got to thinking one day......... why not roughen up the inside surface where the silicone is applied to give the compound a little extra surface grit to "grab onto" rather than the slick plated surface. I don't know, that might have helped a lot but I have no comparison data to prove it one way or another.

That's about it, try it if you like or don't, I don't care, it won't bother me either way, I'm just sharing something that works for me!

I remembered this thread when it was first written. I just used this solution with a customer who was having an issue.

Thanks George!

Texatdurango

Wow, talk about one from the past! I'm just glad that they came out with the "square" threads and we could stop worrying about the caps coming loose..... at least on the Craft Supply kits!

I haven't used silicone on a cap in a long time now........ thank goodnes!

GregMuller

New Versions

Been a while scince I brought new kits. Are you saying pens kits from CSUSA like the JR Gents and Jr statesmen no longer have the threading problem. I am about to purchased some new kits for a customer.

t001xa22

George, I had to jump in here to thank you very much for your information. I have had issues in the past making caps and covers, and your info has solved my problems. I have been working on some orders for capped custom Xacto knives for a graphics shop, and some seam rippers. Your suggestions have now made the difference for me, so thanks again.

Texatdurango

George, I had to jump in here to thank you very much for your information. I have had issues in the past making caps and covers, and your info has solved my problems. I have been working on some orders for capped custom Xacto knives for a graphics shop, and some seam rippers. Your suggestions have now made the difference for me, so thanks again.

While this "fix" was intended for the Craft Supply Jr and Sr series of pens, it's good to hear that the ide can be implemented with other threaded items as well....especially sharp razor knives, it would be a pain (literally) to have one of those babies come uncapped in your pocket! :eek:

Texatdurango

Been a while scince I brought new kits. Are you saying pens kits from CSUSA like the JR Gents and Jr statesmen no longer have the threading problem. I am about to purchased some new kits for a customer.

Greg, this fix was directed at the "old style" threads used in the JR and Sr series pens where the cap would easily work itself loose and just fall off. Since this time, the kits have changed and now use "square threads" which have eliminated the problem so you should be good to go with any current orders. Just make sure you don't order from a source that might still have kits using the older "sharp pitch" cap threads.

Top Bottom