How to disolve Alumilite?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

I have a piece that I cast for someone and it has turned into a series of failures. w/out going into details I need to strip the alumilite and start over. Is there anything that will melt it away? I thought I read that Acetone would but cannot find it. If you know of anything please let me know. Thanks.

Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tkbarron

I'd recommend you pitch that question to Alumilite tech support or check their knowledge base. A quick phone call will probably get you an answer.

Tom

Haynie

Just a warning
If you don't know, don't just go throwing chemicals at it. death is irreversible.

I worked in a college darkroom and some jackwagon nearly killed us all. He grabbed an aluminum tray from the painting supplies to use with a bleaching agent. The combination would have generated a lethal gas.

Call the manufacturer.

Last edited:

watch_art

Could you just turn it off? Stick it between centers and turn it thin, then sand the rest off? Are you just trying to save the tube?

Justturnin

Could you just turn it off? Stick it between centers and turn it thin, then sand the rest off? Are you just trying to save the tube?

It is hard to explain but I have already turned it down as close as I can w/out damaging the item but I cant touch the item w/ anything. It has to stay unaffected.

truckfixr

I've recovered watch parts from PR castings that bubbled by turning them as thin as possible then soaking them in acetone. Of course it stripped the paint from the tubes and the watch face also.

jd99

I would try soaking it in acetone, it could be like PR it could just shatter into a bunch of small peices after soaking for a day.

Worked on PR for me one time.

Justturnin

I placed the blank in Acetone last night. When I went out this morning the resin was already becoming fragile so my hope is it will be done w/in a coupe days I guess.

Justturnin

Can you carefully cut out the item in it's casting and re-cast the cast so to speak?

Reading on the site that is not recommended by Alumilite. I did try to cast over the first issue (part tipped over in the mold) and you could see the first pour line w/in the second pour.

Justturnin

I've just gotta know (or did I miss it?) what are you trying to get the alumilite OFF of?
A tube?

Its wood bit is already shaped and polished by someone else and i cant fix it if i damage it so i need a way.to remove the resin. The acetone is breaking it down then i can touch it up with MM if the grain raises.

Carl Fisher

Reading on the site that is not recommended by Alumilite. I did try to cast over the first issue (part tipped over in the mold) and you could see the first pour line w/in the second pour.

Drat. Didn't know if it was like fiberglass resin that it would effectively melt to itself and become one solid piece.

Oh well, that was my only suggestion. Sounds like the acetone may be getting it done for you.

Top Bottom