How to de-stink pill holders?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ossaguy

ossaguy

I made my first 2 pill holders I got from CSUSA,and I was wondering if anyone here has experienced the condition I have:

I made the pair out of a stabilized Hackberry blank,and after making them,I am concerned with the resin-like stink when you take a whiff from the opened container.I have had them un-capped,and 1 aired out good,the other one stinks bad.I don't want to have the smell impregnate a pill,and they are advertized as having food-safe plating.They are all for gifts,so I can't make anyone sick.

I used CA to finish them,and glue the tubes in.

I'm guessing I need to use an un-stabized piece on my next one.

I tried washing out with soap & water,Soft Scrub with bleach,but the 2nd one was unfazed.

Anyone else ever experienced this?

Thanks for any advise!

Steve
Steve

CREID

I posted a few days ago, about stabilized Black Ash Burl and pens I made smelling.
Didn't get too many responces. I'm thinking that most people use a coating like CA or something.
Any way, the pen I made uncoated smelled resiny for a about a month. I come from a printing ink background, my theory is that the resin cures or dries (depending on if its a catalyzed resin or not) on the outside and this doesn't allow solvents to escape, so when you turn the blank you are now opening it back up and the solvents are coming out again. What I would do if I were you is leave them open in a well ventilated area for about a month and then close them up for a few days and see if they still stink.
If not then good, if they still stink then let them gas for another month.
Curt
p.s. Considering they are for pills, you might want to contact the company that stabilized them and see what is coming off causing the odor and tell them what you are using it for. They may not want to give you details but they may tell you if they think it's ok for the end use.

PenPal

In the Cheese industry the shelves etc for Cheese are timbers that are inert for smelling etc. Enquire with a Cheese manufacturer also Cigar Boxes use inert timber what about the Cigar men always displaying on the IAP what timber is best for Humidors.

Have success Peter.

Top Bottom