how to cut tenon & best tool for job

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hotwire55

I recently purchased some Euro designer pen kits and am faced with learning to cut or not to cut a tenon. Would it be better to start out and learn to cut the tenon from the very beginning? Which parting tool do you like the best for this intimidating challenge? Thanks in advance. --Bobby Moyers--

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

Don't be afraid of a tenon. It's no different than the turning you are already doing.

The easiest method is to just plunge cut with a parting tool. Just lay the parting tool so that it rubs the bevel and then lift until it starts to cut. Continue until you are at the depth you need.

I usually plunge in at my stopping point line and then clean off to the end of the blank as needed.

alxe24

I use a parting tool you could use a 1/8 or 1/16. That is what I use. Or course you can wo wider but I don't see the need for it. I would usually start the cut at the shoulder of the tenon as supposed of the edge (end of the barrel) since a few times I had a chunk flying off I feel having wood on both sides of the tool helps to mitigate that.
Also make ser the tool is always sharp.
Good luck

hotwire55

I purchased 3 Euro kits and have tried to use the method where you don't cut a tenon and have already ruined two sets of tubes. I must be dense or something. This is tough for me, but I will work my way through it. I have a cheapo parting tool and will try using it the next time. Thanks!

Last edited:

hotwire55

Wouldn't that be wonderful! It seems like it could be done.
I switched off to something else for a day or two, but I'm definitely going to learn to cut the tenon. Thanks, --Bobby

JohnU

I wish easy tools would come out with an 1/8" wide square just for this

I took a small 1/8" wide standard screw driver and sanded it to a sharp edge. I also taper it back a little bit from the outer edge in so the band fits flush with the edge that shows. Works every time. Once you do a couple you'll see its nothing to be worried about.

Last edited:

txbob

The Bedan parting tool

I suggest that the most correct tool designed for cutting tenons is the bedan style parting tool. Sorby makes them, Highland Hardware and many others sell them. Unlike other parting tools, the sides of a bedan are tapered in so they don't rub the shoulder of the tenon and burnish it.

txbob

PenMan1

My best pen tenon tool was made from a Bi-Metal Sawzall blade and two scraps of wood.It is about 1/16 inch wide, just stiff enough to make a precise tenon without flexing. The whole project costs $0. The blade was too dull to be used for cutting metal and the scraps were just laying around the shop. I just ground off the teeth and mounted the blade between the two scraps of wood.

It IS my "goto" pen tenon tool.

edstreet

There are 2 way to approach this. I am going to go with the one that I think will best help out in this case.

IMG_8684.JPG

this is what the cut should look like when you are finished.

You will need a skew and a parting tool. Technically you can do it with each of those by themselves but often times I find the parting tool does not yield a good clean 90 degree corner so enters the skew. You can use other types as well, i.e. side scraper with a pointed tip, flat nose scraper among others.

First you need to take the width of the band and get a good idea of how many chisel width cuts you will have to make. For my parting tool it is 3 times the width, your number will be unique to the chisel and how it is ground.

You want to cut no more than HALF the width of the parting tool on each cut, I like to use 1/4 of the width. The reason for this is the first cut will have the majority of the parting tools width on the bushings. from there you branch over to the next cut and the position will change but your ending point will not.

You do not want to make it to the end but super super close reason for this is to true up the corner and that will require another cut or 2.

IMG_0152.JPG

In this photo I have 2 cuts to clean up greatly. the one to the left of the X you see a ring about half way down the cut, that has to come out as that is the #1 cause of failures on this cut.

If you don't this is how it will look.
IMG_0164.JPG

the band will likely have a gap that prevents it seating properly.

If you take your skew and hold it at an angle you will quickly see that very tip is close to a 45 degree angle and can easily get into that corner and make you a true 90 degree cut, the direction of the cut will be left to right, or right to left. You are ONLY cutting from the tip of the skew. If you over cut slightly that will not hurt as that is where the glue will pool up at plus you will not see it from the outside.

IMG_0504.JPG

In this photo the white crusty areas is where I used the skew, this skew was not terribly sharp either but it serves the purpose here. My skew is also slightly rounded and not true flat so I can cut at any part along the width of the edge. From knife making rough areas make excellent glue surfaces, more surface material to bond with, the best surface is bead blasted, second best is sanded surfaced on BOTH items.

IMG_0503.JPG

this is a side shot. it *IS* sloped in slightly but not to great. One big problem that I have seen is you add glue, push the band on and the glue squeezes out all over the place and pushes the ring off. the relief cut in the back helps this greatly.

IMG_0502.JPG

Here it is again with the band in place, not glued. As we can see there is a ring on the very edge, technically I could use the skew and touch up that high ridge to make it flush but you really have to get a magnifying glass out to see this ridge. Also this is just a test section I was using and not a full pen.

The other thing to note is on the inside of the band is a sloped ridge which allows for a higher rounded corner. I am not sure if they are on all the kits but there is on this one, it is not much at all.

Also worth noting this is the same cut that you make on the foot of a bowl to hold it in the chuck jaws, but on bowls you want them to have more of a slant.
IMG_0485.JPG

Hope this helps.

hotwire55

I'll say "thank you" to all you great guys at once! Ed, it is almost overwhelming at the time you've spend taking the photos and writing your procedure for doing this! I will be digesting all this info and put it to good use tomorrow morning, Maybe even tonight, if I can get back into the shop for a while.
I like your avatar. I think I spelled that right. My wife and I have a call that maybe you've heard of. It's called a ragdoll cat. You pick the thing up and he just goes limp when you hold him. Looks like a Persian. He doesn't care much for me. He's bonded to my wife, but I like him anyway. I'll post a picture sometime. Thanks fellows for all the help! --Bobby--

chrisk

1. First cut with a narrow (1/8") parting tool, that is at the junction with the center band. Only one clean cut should be made there at about half the tenon's depth.
2. Enlarging a bit, making a second cut with the 1/8" parting tool.
3. Enters the 1/4" parting tool, working from left to right and inversely till I reach the right depth.
4. With a 3point or pyramid point tool, I cut 3-4 drains on the tenon in order to capture the glue when assembling the center band (tip learned from Penman1).

hotwire55

Ed, I have Woodchuck Pen Pro, and I also have a 3/4" rounded edge Taylor Hss Skew, that I really like. I also have a cheap set that came with the Turncrafter Pro VS that I purchased used. I haven't used any of the cheapo chisels, but there is a 1/8" parting chisel in the bunch, that I could sharpen and try to learn to use. The Bedan style sounds like something I might try to purchase.
I turned a blank out of Kingwood for a bullet pen a few minutes ago. Used the skew all the way, and fell in love with it. The Pen Pro is great for roughing down, but the skew is really and impressive tool for finishing up because it leaves a slick finish. Didn't take very much sanding at all. I have used it to finish out on 2 other pens today & didn't have to hone it. Holds an edge great. Thanks, and any advice appreciated! --Bobby--

edstreet

To be perfectly honest with the square blade from the woodchuck you can easily use that as a parting tool. Just use a corner and go from there. The width being wide is actually a perk as you can clearly see how it lines up with the bushing and your angle will be more true that way :) Personally I have never used their chisels or any in that class but I do use hss traditional ones. I also don't believe in throwing equipment at a problem.

As for finish goes the higher quality the hone is on the edge the smoother the cut it. I like to equate the grit used to sharpen the chisel with is the sandpaper you start with. Well basic rule of thumb anyways.

Top Bottom