How to color ebony black ??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

oneptbuk

I know, sounds a little goofy, but I have a bottle stopper in ebony that is very dark, but not black. The stopper is completed, but I'm wondering if there is a way to darken it black prior to final finish. I've sanded through to 600, but now am stuck.... I am considering those Tombow pens but haven't used up to this point.

This is a laminated stopper with holly, yellow heart, and some aluminum, so I want to be able to really control the color to avoid any spreading/contamination.

If I've missed another similar thread, my apologies. This is my first post and there is truckloads of great info here, thanks to all for sharing ideas.

Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Martin G

I've made only one pen out of ebony. It was almost but not quite black until I put a little BLO (boiled linseed oil) on it. Went so black you almost can't see the grain now. Now, the BLO might change the colors of your other woods but I wouldn't think by very much. Others with more experience may chime in.

Martin.

I find that with any Oil will darken down Ebony, purple heart, bloodwood......

I've made only one pen out of ebony. It was almost but not quite black until I put a little BLO (boiled linseed oil) on it. Went so black you almost can't see the grain now. Now, the BLO might change the colors of your other woods but I wouldn't think by very much. Others with more experience may chime in.

Martin.

PaulDoug

Put some vinegar and water in a jar, add a piece of steel wool and let it set for a few days. Wipe the wood with some of the solution. It well turn ebony black.

oneptbuk

Thanks for suggestions. I think I will give the BLO a go, I don't want to over think this too much anyway... Although I may try the three way finish from Doctors Woodshop on a piece of scrap to see how that looks. Otherwise, I may just go the BLO/CA route.

Top Bottom