Votes: 0 0.0%
  • over 65

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tom McMillan

Come on you guys----I'm 58, and I know there has to be a lot more of us "oldies, but goodies" out there----Come on------admit it!!!! We need to bring the stats up!!!

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting poll! I'll make that the front-page poll after the IAP Bylaws vote is over.

That is, if I remember to do it. At 45, I forget a few things.

Scott

I just turned 50 this last Friday! Celebrated by going to a ZZ Top concert - I figured it was OK since they're old too! ;-)

Scott.

C_Ludwigsen

Congrats, Scott!!! That is certainly a highly noteworthy milestone.

My oldest brother turns 50 in February (when I turn 40). I have plans to make him a really nice desk set based on the platinum Gentlemen's pen and fountain pen from CSUSA. So expect me to start asking lots of questions as the date nears.

Congrats again.

woodwish

OK, I think the poll is skewed slightly. At 51 I am the youngster in our local woodturning club. I also felt the same way at the AAW Symposium this summer in Orlando. Maybe some are fibbing about their age? I bet if the wood suppliers would offer a senior citizen discount everyone would magically be older?[;)]

Wish

roberts

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom.
Well you guys, I'm a happy 58 in two months (have to have joint birthday and Christmas presents[:(]) also I have just been made redundant so I am going to sign on the dole (a Brit word, unemployment I think you call it) for the first time in my life[:I], and yes it does give me more time to turn pens etc.[:D]. It is nice to see a broad spectrum of ages within the group, we need fresh blood to keep us 'old foggies' on our toes even though we can still teach you a trick or two[:D].

Bob `S`
(still smiling even though we have the first frost of the year tonight)

Tom McMillan

Great Bob---Think we came up a couple points---but, I'm still convinced there's a lot more in our age group. I'm unemployed too (that's kinda tough at this age)---but, I started a job for a 30 day trial period this week where I can use some of my turning skills---wow, is that fun. Anyway, I'm hoping it works out as it's real close to home. Yes, I agree it's nice to have the range of age groups---so great to see the teens interested and doing some nice work too!!! Well, I'll be 59 in January---come on where's the rest of you oldies??? Well, Bob, hope you keep toastie tonight---cooling off here in Washington State too---but, no frost here yet. Off to finish up my contest entries---hope the rest of you have entered or are getting ready to.

tipusnr

I'll be 50 in less than two months. Took up turning about this time last year and having fun learning and creating. Please no frost yet for Ohio - still have a lot of green tomatoes on the vine. Still the weather is better than our Gulf Coast buddies are getting!!!

wayneis

I'll turn fifty four the the twenty eighth, about two weeks, wow. I celibrate every Birthday and consider it a milestone, and no I don't mind getting older, it beats the heck out of the alternative. I wasn't supposed to make it this far so I just love to prove them wrong.

Wayne

Daniel

I'll be 43 in november, But I can't ever seem to remember to act it [:)]
I have a shirt from two years ago that says 40 isn't old...if your a tree!
most people can't be convinced that I'm even 40.

ilikewood

Wow Adam, How come you say you are ashamed of 17? Most of us wish we still were!!

Besides, at that age it is easier to learn. Sometimes it is hard to teach us "old dog" new tricks!

Tom McMillan

Hey, Adam---you're doing a fine job turning pens---I can only wish I'd been turning at your age----Keep at it---And be glad you're 17---you've got a whole lot to look forward to!!!!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Tom McMillan
<br />Hey, Adam---you're doing a fine job turning pens---I can only wish I'd been turning at your age----Keep at it---And be glad you're 17---you've got a whole lot to look forward to!!!!
When I was seventeen, it was a very good year...I hope it's even better for you, Adam.

Phil Joines

I think the majority of the members in our club are in the 35-45 range.
Golden Triangle Woodturners, Denton, Texas. Mostly people who don't want to fight the traffic into Dallas or Fort worth. A fair number belong to one of the other clubs too. There are 5 within 100 miles or so.
The club started March 2003 and we have 40 members now.

danf

As I am almost 60 should I be concerned that only 2% of members are over 65 or maybe that they don't want to admit their age. I would think that this would be an ideal pastime/hobby for anyone in this age group.

Dan F

Well, I guess I'm one of the oldest 'old fogies' in the list as I will turn 64 right after the first of the year. Was working a woodworking show last January and watched a demo on the lathe and fell in love with the whole concept. I have done lots of scroll sawing and decided it was time to add to my talents so purchased a Jet Mini and haven't looked back since! Still do a little scrolling but really love turning the most. Now if I can get it to pay for itself I'll be happy. First craft show coming up the end of this month.

Efletche

Turned 40 last month just after I turned my first pen. I'd say I'm ready for a mid-life crisis, but I need to have a life first, don't I??

djborek

Polls! I thought you were talking about ethnic background at first! Since I’m of Pol-ish, Irish, & German decent!
Going to be 51 on November 7th and still no gray hair! I don’t get it cause’ my Dad’s hair turned pure white when he hit fifty. It did look cool all white and a full head of hair even at 67. I guess I should be happy but I never gave it any thought about my hair. I used to keep it cut short because being a Professional Woodturner at our Millworks Shop made it difficult to deal with it any longer. It's been just about 40 years now that I started turning for fun. I can hardly believe it's been that long. My hair is curly and my wife likes it that way, just a little longer then I enjoy! I say it’s a drag at the lathe trying to shake wood chips out of it all the time. I can't stand wearing a hat because it makes my head too hot! I like getting older, except for the parts wearing out like my Dad said they would! Bad knees walking on concrete floors all those years take its toll on cartilage.

therodologist

I am going on 66 and I am new to pen turning but not wood turning.It makes me sick when I think of all the burled woods that I have burned in my old wood stove over the last 40+ years that were to small for my needs . www.mainelyreelseats.com

NAH

I'm very suprised, I didn't figure there'd be 2 people younger than me (at 18) on these boards. Guess it's nice to know I'm not the youngest, though.
NAH

timdaleiden

Originally posted by NAH
<br />I'm very suprised, I didn't figure there'd be 2 people younger than me (at 18)

I'll be 18 too...at some point in a future life. [:)]

For right now I will have to settle for 30 something...give or take a few years. Anybody got a time machine they want to part with???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom