How much $$ do you have in your blanks??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bananajeep

Status
Not open for further replies.

bananajeep

So how much money do you guys actualy put into your pen blanks?

Pen I turned for the '06 PITH for bradbn4.

20061120232313_PITH%20`06%20Pen%2050%cropped.jpg

A pair of pens

20061120232349_Money_pens.jpg

A close up of one

20061120232418_money_pens_closeup.jpg

I tried to do a CA finish on them. One turned out OK the other I had to redo the lower barrel and that finish came out good. Any tricks to CA on PR? Let me know what you guys (and gals) think.

Thanks,
Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Very nice pen Mike!
I haven't seen that many 100's since the day I had kids.[8)]

Skye

Man, I made something JUST like that a few weeks ago. I havent turned it yet though.

I packed the shred into the tubes with resin. I have a feeling it wont work though because I'll be cutting through the shreds. I'm going to do it again but coat the tubes in shreds, then center in a cast. Is that how you did yours?

Darley

Very nice pen, but I don't know the rules and laws in the States, but here in Australia you will be charged for destruction of asset and liability of the Goverment, hope you don't show it to TAXMAN, in mean time great pens

Skye

You can buy shredded bills that the US treasury sells. That's how all the shredded currency in the US starts out. I got a bag of it for a few bucks.

Darley

Originally posted by Skye
<br />You can buy shredded bills that the US treasury sells. That's how all the shredded currency in the US starts out. I got a bag of it for a few bucks.

Really! them I would be interested to get some of you if it's possible, PM off site please

SteveRoberts

I have been making shredded money pens for about 8 months. I figured someone else would start sooner or later. I have had a lot of pen turners come to my booth and ask about it. It is legal, it is not that hard. It sells ok.

Steve

bananajeep

I used the water bottle ice cube trays and stuffed them with the shredded money(I got a bag of it one year as a present). This is old money the govt has shredded and resold. Using clear PR I add it to the tubes slowly using a long wood or plastic skewer to work the bubbles out as I pour. About 0.75 oz of resin per blank. Pressure cured overnight 40psi. When truning the blanks you do cut through the strands on money. I seal the pen with CA when I'm finished. I painted the holes in the blanks black after drilling as well as the brass tubes. I used 5 min epoxy tinted blank for gluing.

I found fewer strands look nicer than packed full. I would be willing to trade some of these blanks with folks. let me know if you want to do a trade (PM me). I'll have to pour some more blanks this weekend.

Thanks

Mike

Skye

Yeah, that's my problem, I used a dowel and slam packed it with bills. I dont think it's going to turn well at all, so I'm holding off. I just wasnt thinking, lol

Next time you make one, try painting the tube white or very light green and see if it brightens up the blank. It looks dark in the photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom