Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 or less?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DocStram

Geeeezzzeeee .... OK, so I didn't give an operational definition of lathe chisel. If it looks like a lathe chisel, quacks like a lathe chisel, waddles like a lathe chisel ... and if your mama told you it was a lathe chisel.... then count it! lol

clement

What do you mean by chisels ? All the turning tools ? If it means all, then i have 21 different tools. Mostly Sorby and Hamlet. Last time i've buyed some from Crown, very satisfied with it and much cheaper than S.. and H.. [:)]

keithz

I have at least 4 bowl gouges, 6 scrapers, 5 skews, 3 spindle gouges, 2 sets of kelton hollowing tools, 3 Sorby hollowing tools, Pencil's Scorpion, 3 parting tools, and several miscellanious tools I have made. But then, whos counting? That's right, we are.[:D][:D]

DocStram

Nothing is ever easy is it?

eagle .... no wonder your wife can't butter her toast in the morning!

Dario ... 2 HF + some loose Sorby + a couple of Crown bowl gouges = ?

Clement .... "lathe chisels" = gouges, scrapers, skews, Versachisels, parting, hollowing, roughing, etc, etc, get it? If you are not certain if it's a lathe chisel or not, send it to me so I can add it to my collection of "lathe chisels"!

Chris ...... you marked down 24 but actually have 27? There are no mistakes allowed in this poll! Follow the directions I gave to Clement ... UPS 'em to me.

I haven't counted in a while, but without a doubt, easily more than 50 chisels

I think a good companion to this question would be

"Of all the chisels you own, how many do you really use?"

Dario

Al,

21 I can think of (maybe more since I can't really be certain that I don't have anything hidding [:D]).

With the new lathe, I can see new tools in the (distant) future too.

For Ron, Been using only 3 the past year. Soon it will be 7+. The bowl gouges and scrapers will be resurrected.

chigdon

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />I haven't counted in a while, but without a doubt, easily more than 50 chisels

I probably use 5 or 6 regularly. When you need that special tool for something you have to have it. That being said there are several that just collect dust!

Skye

Do my POS Harbor Freight "Mini woodworking chisels" count? If so, I have probably 12 and use maybe 4 regularly.

byounghusband

Skye,
I too, have the "POS HF Mini set" and I use the small gouge from it a lot... I guess one out of 5 ain't bad, huh?[B)]
I even broke the handle on it one day when I was sharpening it. Momentary lapse of concentration and I caught the corner edge on the wheel and it jammed the handle end down into the Wolverine rest and shattered it in my hand. [:0] Scared the CRAP out of me, but no injury, Thank God!! I set the blade on the shelf for a while and am now just going to turn a new handle for it. This one will be a bit longer than the old one, so I won't run into that same problem again....

bnoles

I checked 10-14 and feel that is too many already. Giving serious thought to thining the heard and learning to be more proficient with fewer tools [8D]

alamocdc

Originally posted by beamer
<br />modified butter knife, eh?

I see a very narrow parting tool in my future! :D

Yep, and they make great narrow parting tools (among other things). Walmart sells a set of 6 stainless steel for $1. That's what I've been using and they work quite well.

Dario

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />
Originally posted by beamer
<br />modified butter knife, eh?

I see a very narrow parting tool in my future! :D

Yep, and they make great narrow parting tools (among other things). Walmart sells a set of 6 stainless steel for $1. That's what I've been using and they work quite well.

Old knives also make nice parting tools...especially the chrome vanadium ones. New ones also are cheap so it won't hurt much to experiment. Most thrift store (Salvation army, Goodwill, etc) have some.

Ofcourse you will have to grind the cutting edge of it first ;).

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />I haven't counted in a while, but without a doubt, easily more than 50 chisels

Part 1: I'm with Ron, over 50

Part 2: 2 skews and a parting tool (99% of turning)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom