How long until PR fume safe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

soligen

How long does it take until PR fumes are not an issue? I dont bring blanks inside the house for a day, but I noticed when I turned one a week after casting that I still got the characteristic odor while turning.

I wear a respirator with dust filters while turning, so I figure it is aroma, not dust particles hitting my sinuses.

Do I need the VOC filter while turning as well as while casting? Since I turn in my basement, am I releasing VOCs to the family?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Craftdiggity

The odor you are smelling is not necessarily fumes. All plastics have that smell when turning. I don't worry about it. The dust on the other hand...I don't play games with that. I use a respirator, especially when I start sanding.

KDM

How long does it take until PR fumes are not an issue?

I find that if I stick my nose real close to the PR before it cures, after a few good lungfuls, the fumes are not much of an issue.

I dont bring blanks inside the house for a day, but I noticed when I turned one a week after casting that I still got the characteristic odor while turning.

<Serious head back on> Yes, me too. I'm not sure I agree entirely with ...

All plastics have that smell when turning.

... though. Yeah, all plastics do have a smell when you turn 'em, but I think that it's because the closer you get to the middle of the blank, the less completely cured it is. I know it's supposed to cure with the heat, etc. but I've got a number of blanks all made from the same material and all smelling more strongly the "younger" they are.

:star:Hot tip: I tend to turn them between centres pretty soon after they're cast (just to get more of the middle "exposed" if you like) then rest them for a few days.

I wouldn't worry about the smell while turning. After a day, I'd guess most of the really nasty stuff is gone.

Do I need the VOC filter while turning as well as while casting? Since I turn in my basement, am I releasing VOCs to the family?

:eek: On the other hand, you might care to disregard anything I say on teh matter: I gre up in an era when mercury wasn't poisonous. We used to be allowed to handle it and poke it to see what it felt like. Nowadays only the teacher is allowed close to the jar that it stays in and the kids have to stay 15 feet away.

:eek: Do we know what the effects of prolonged exposure to PR fumes is? How many pen turners are over the age of 75? Oh, wait. Did they have polyester 75 years ago? For all we know we could be killing ourselves just by handling the plastics on our computer mice.

:eek: No doubt some researcher will link the high rate of impotency in a certain geographical region to the high use of computer mice in that vicinity.

:eek: Take heart from the fact that almost everything you do, or eat, is bad for you in one way or another. You can choose to ignore it and enjoy yourself, or kill yourself early by stressing over everything you do/eat.

:tongue: I digress. I should have posted this rant elsewhere, shouldn't I?

Last edited:

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I have found the Casting Craft to be extremely nasty, the Silmar 31 is a lot milder and Alumilite is almost odorless.

Top Bottom