How long have you been making pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

How long have you made pens?

• I don't make pens, but hope to some day.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I have been making pens 1 day to six months

Votes: 17 5.7%
  • I have been making pens 6-12 months

Votes: 26 8.8%
  • I have been making pens 12-18 months

Votes: 29 9.8%
  • I have been making pens 18-24 months

Votes: 22 7.4%
  • I have been making pens 2-3 years

Votes: 63 21.3%
  • I have been making pens 4-5 years

Votes: 53 17.9%
  • I have been making pens 5-7 years

Votes: 35 11.8%
  • I have been making pens 7-10 years

Votes: 23 7.8%
  • I have been making pens 10-15 years

Votes: 12 4.1%
  • I have been making pens 15-20 years

Votes: 13 4.4%
  • I have been making pens 20+ years

Votes: 2 0.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ttpenman

Since 1996

Started in 1996. Back then hand turned pens weren't as common as today. Made a lot of pens for the first 4-5 years. Then penturning really caught on and you could buy kits all over. When I first started I got top dollar (about $60) but when everybody and their brother started selling pens (especially when online sales started) for $10, $15 or $20 bucks, my sales really went down. Even though my kits were $7-10, maybe even a little more, the guys online were selling slimlines that cost a couple bucks. Average customer didn't know the difference since they never would see them side by side. The last few years I still make pens but not nearly as many. But, it is more fun.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

randyrls

When I first made pens, there were only about 3-6 different styles and you had a choice of wood or corian.

PS. I was digging thru my old pen kit box and in the bottom I found an OLD pencil kit. You remember, the one with the flexible black plastic piece?

low_48

Started using stick pen inserts in the middle 1980's, but can't remember when I stopped doing that. Joined here in Jul 2004, so voted for the 7-10 years.

jhprice

Started turning in 01. Made my first pen in 02. So, about 10 years and a few hundred pens and bowls. One of these days I'll get good at it.

ctubbs

As usual, late to the party! Started turning about 4 years back, first pen most likely 2 1/2 ago. Rebuilding my old Delta/Rockwell lathe now with new 3 phase motor and vari drive controller. This reminds me of boating, a hole to throw money into, never to be seen again. Hooked for sure!
Charles

KenV

Ed -- you have a nice bell shaped curve, with a bias based on your short time intervals at the upper end. Makes some of the interpertations interesting.

What I found most intersting is that the number of people who responded with content is small in relationship the member count. I expect the 1/10th rule of thumb comes into play also.

Nice idea -- thanks for getting it started.

JerrySambrook

Started in 89 on and off, got a little more serious in 92. Did a BIG job in 95, and did not go near my lathe again until 2004 or so. Burnout was bad
And tell Dawn pfft, as I was one of those original 4

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
About 2-1/2 years. What happened within the last 5 years? Over 60% of respondents answered 5 years or less. I hope this doesn't reflect the life expectancy of pen turners. If so, I guess I should up my life insurance.

Another take on that might be that the IAP is useful to turners until they have about five years experience, then they are less likely to come to a forum.

Don't know--but there are usually many ways to interpret data.

The other option is that penturning has become more popular in the last five or so years, with more and more mainstream companies offering supplies and thus exposure.

Andrew

penmantoo

:)i have been making pens for 14 years in total but only now and then until 1999 and then since then i have been constantly making pens we have a childrens hospital in the city of Newcastle which started a research foundation into childrens illnesses .i beieve we are guests onthis planet for only a short while but we should pay rent for our stay , every second friday of the month for ten months of the year the shopping mall in our town of Taree alloows us( my wife and i) to set up a stall to sell the pens the profits go to the research foundation ,i do it as much for myself as the kids at my age if you not active you rust away .

Last edited:
Top Bottom