How long does it take you to do a Ca Finnish on a pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marker

I am sure that this is something that one should not rush....But I am curious to know hoe long it should take to do a ca Finnish right. I

I my self tend to rush it, and usually it results in an uneven coat.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
To many variables...humidity, temp, age of glue, viscosity of glue, application method, type of wood, sanding....I'm sure others. So...10 seconds to 5 minutes

bruce119

For me about 10 minutes. I apply 10 coats of medium. I wear a nitrate glove apply a drop or 2 spread out give a quick spritz of accelerator wait 10-15 seconds and repeat. Then wet sand with 400 to get the ridges down then go through micro mesh 1500-6000 and finish with Novus 2 polish.

ALA

To many variables...humidity, temp, age of glue, viscosity of glue, application method, type of wood, sanding....I'm sure others. So...10 seconds to 5 minutes

Only wish I could do a CA finish that quick! But I haven't given up! :eek:

raar25

Including putting the barrels on the the nylon bushings, 2 coats thin, 8 coats medium and and than 2 coats thin. Next remove the barrels and trim the excess CA from the ends of the barrel with a razor and put it back on the lathe to sand 400, 600, EEE, PP and finally buff with plastic rouge and done.

Now the truth 45-90 minutes or more if anything goes wrong.

The funny thing is my wife always tells me I have no concept of time. I tell her it only took me 5-10 minutes and she will say but you have been doing it for 2 hours! I see I am not the only person with that illness.

turbowagon

About three days for me. I apply between 15 and 20 coats, and let each one dry at least a half hour with no accelerator. Might be overkill, but that gets me the best results... plus I have a dedicated finishing lathe, so it doesn't stop production.

Last edited:
Interesting thread.
I used to be in the "wham, bam, thank you ma'am" crowd but the last 6-9 months I've been working (diligently) on getting my CA finishes where I want them. Interestingly, I've wound up slowing down. A lot. While I'm not like "turbowagon" Joe (above), it isn't unusual for me to take an hour or so to complete the CA finishing process. And I bet it'll go longer yet.

Currently I'm alternating between thin and medium CA every other coat. Two coats thin, two coats medium, etc. I'm using accelerator but not every coat. After about 10 coats, I sand wet thru 2000 (take great care to not cross-contaminate grits!) and then Novus 3 & 2 with a final real light buff on the Beall wheels. I'm real happy with the results when I remove the tubes but (maybe it's just me) the surface seems to get "wavy" after a day or 2.

So I'm thinking "turbowagon" Joe (above) may have a good thing going. I think I'll let the next CA one "cure" for a day or 2 and see if I notice a difference.

les-smith

Man did I have problems learning the CA finish. When I first started I ended up with a big Christmas order that I didn't know if I was going to be able to finish or not because I kept on scrwing up the CA finish. Now it takes me about 30-45 minutes, one hour tops. I use the Fangar CA finish method changed up just a little. It saved my butt. It takes longer them most methods, but it works for me most every time.

Fangar's post is here, posted a long time ago, but still good info: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f28/my-ca-method-17317/

Last edited:

Marker

Thanks guys for the input....It takes me like 45-60 minuets. lol I must be doing something wrong. I wish I could put them out in 10-15 minuets like some can, but when I rush it that when things go wrong.

brownsfn2

Thanks guys for the input....It takes me like 45-60 minuets. lol I must be doing something wrong. I wish I could put them out in 10-15 minuets like some can, but when I rush it that when things go wrong.

I looked back at my answer and realized I was probably a little misleading. It takes me a bout 10 min per pen to put 20 coats of thin CA on it. Then I let it cure for 4-24 hours. (Depending on my patience). I used to get the occasional chip at the edge of the CA until I let it cure longer. Now it is almost always solid and I can actually take off the extra CA with my belt sander with no worry of chips.

jttheclockman

So exactly what did you learn. To me nothing. Why do you care what anyone else does for time wise when doing any finish?? I don't mean to be harsh with this statement but I have to laugh when people ask questions like this. You work at your own pace and that is all. Everyone is different and there are many methods of doing a CA finish as you probably know from reading past posts on this subject. AS you see many differnt times as well because that is what works for them. Be patient. This is a hobby.:)

My point here is slow down and concentrate on YOUR method. Learn what works for YOU. As someone mentioned there are so many variables that go into not only a CA finish but any finish. Weather being a key ingrediant. Now if you want to experiment with different methods that is something else but time is just a number.

So exactly what did you learn. To me nothing. Why do you care what anyone else does for time wise when doing any finish?? I don't mean to be harsh with this statement but I have to laugh when people ask questions like this. You work at your own pace and that is all. Everyone is different and there are many methods of doing a CA finish as you probably know from reading past posts on this subject. AS you see many differnt times as well because that is what works for them. Be patient. This is a hobby.:)

My point here is slow down and concentrate on YOUR method. Learn what works for YOU. As someone mentioned there are so many variables that go into not only a CA finish but any finish. Weather being a key ingrediant. Now if you want to experiment with different methods that is something else but time is just a number.

I think its a valid question. If it takes him 45-60 minutes and he *learns* someone else is doing it in 15-20 minutes, then he can start an investigative process to *learn* how to do it different. How could he know if he doesn't ask?
Its hard to learn new things when you don't know you are doing it wrong, and that's why you ask questions.

Last edited:

Mason Kuettel

I spend about 15min per tube applying CA, let it cure for at least 24hrs, then sand/polish in about another 15min per tube. Tried doing it without the curing time but got the waves spoken of earlier.

Justturnin

Days. I apply my CA on day 1. I allow it to cure for 2 days to allow the CA to off gas, if you have spots that you "filled" with CA they will take longer than the rest and it has been my experience they will sink after that 2 day period. Then I rough sand it to about 0.10mm above the finished size and check for ridges or dips. If I find them I apply more CA and give it 2 more days, if not I polish. I started doing this after some of my pens I used burls on started getting low spots after they were finished. I feel that is from the offgassing so i let them cure for longer. Just my way.

ttpenman

I'm curious what the logic is from the people that use both thin and medium CA alternating between the two. I use multiple coats of thin and it seems to work pretty well and I'm sure medium would do well also. But why alternate? Maybe whatevery floats your boat. But curious if there is any solid reason to use both thin & medium together?

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

ALA

I'm glad you asked the question Mark. I'd thought about asking the same thing. It probably takes me about an hour or so which is too long. I don't count the number of coats applied. I use to apply about 20 but I don't see the need for that many if 10 or so will do the job. :wink:

jttheclockman

I think its a valid question. If it takes him 45-60 minutes and he *learns* someone else is doing it in 15-20 minutes, then he can start an investigative process to *learn* how to do it different. How could he know if he doesn't ask?
Its hard to learn new things when you don't know you are doing it wrong, and that's why you ask questions.

I do not agree with you at all. If he is doing it in 45 to 60 minutes and he is getting poor results as he mentions he should look into his method of applying. Don't look at times. That is the most misleading factor in a CA finish any beginner should worry about. Just look at the many differnt times people mentioned. I do mine in days not minutes too so does that make me wrong with my method. Does anyone elses method make it wrong because someone does it in 10 minutes. I do not believe in using sprays to harden the CA because it makes it brittle in my opinion.

I still think in my opinion this is one of those questions that has no bearing on a quality CA finish. Learn to improve the method and not the times. Pretty soon you will see the times improve by themselves:wink:

dplloyd

4me. Once the blank is finished sanding process it takes me about 10-15 minutes. I have recently allowed the blank to cure at least overnight. Seems to help. ALso use the spritz of accelerator between coats. Agagin allowing time for it to cure during the 10-15 minutes between coats. I usually put 8 coats on. Works for me.

For oily woods I may need to use some Denatures Alcohol so this will add an additional step before the CA. I'll also allow a generous amount of time for the DNA to evaporate.

Check out you tube for videos. There are a variety of methods on video. If you are lucky enough to have a local chapter ask for a demo on your next get together.

Mike D

Time is irrelevant. It's what you do and how you do it that counts. I'd suggest looking at those that have responded and look at their pens on the site and you'll find that they achieve a high degree in their finishes but they have different times that it takes them to achieve it. The difference is their methods of finishing and what they do during that time. If you think your spending a lot of time and not achieving a finish that your pleased with then you may need to look at your process and change something, either the CA, your applicator, room temperature, humidity, the type of wood, etc etc. As said earlier there are too many variables and most are achieved through practice. The best thing you can do is eliminate the things you have direct control of which is the environment you work in, and by that I mean how clean is your area when finishing. If it's dusty, cluttered and or disorganized then it will have an effect in the finish. Develop a system if you think you need to change something only change one thing at a time or you'll chase your tail and become frustrated. Buy some hardwood dowel, practice and Experiment and have fun doing it.

bitshird

If it's an oily wood like most Dalbergias (Rosewoods) it can take nme about an hour total time, but that's broken up over two days, first saturate the blank with Acetone or DNA. let it dry over night, then 5 or 6 coats of thin CA , about 20 minutes, then 3 to 6 coats of medium CA - NO accelerator, let the blank dry over night then 400-600-800- 1000 all wet of course the polish with Novus 3 then 2. sanding and polishing about 10 to 15 minutes, but I usually used to have 8 or 10 pens working at a time. but I just did my first pen in over a year. too broken down until I got a new hip now I'm back at it. and have 11 pens going.

I do not agree with you at all. If he is doing it in 45 to 60 minutes and he is getting poor results as he mentions he should look into his method of applying. Don't look at times. That is the most misleading factor in a CA finish any beginner should worry about. Just look at the many differnt times people mentioned. I do mine in days not minutes too so does that make me wrong with my method. Does anyone elses method make it wrong because someone does it in 10 minutes. I do not believe in using sprays to harden the CA because it makes it brittle in my opinion.

I still think in my opinion this is one of those questions that has no bearing on a quality CA finish. Learn to improve the method and not the times. Pretty soon you will see the times improve by themselves:wink:

With all due respect, I think you are missing the point. If you read his initial post, he is asking how long does it takes to other people to do it because he feels that by rushing it, he's getting bad results. I still think is a valid question, and that time is a valid factor in his question because he is not trying to do it faster, but better and he's afraid that by doing it fast he's not doing it right.
You said "Learn to improve the method and not the times." I think that is precisely what he wants to do. :wink:

Last edited:

jttheclockman

With all due respect, I think you are missing the point. If you read his initial post, he is asking how long does it takes to other people to do it because he feels that by rushing it, he's getting bad results. I still think is a valid question, and that time is a valid factor in his question because he is not trying to do it faster, but better and he's afraid that by doing it fast he's not doing it right.
You said "Learn to improve the method and not the times." I think that is precisely what he wants to do. :wink:

I will stop quoting this because it is getting a mile long. Read his very first post where he asks HOW LONG SHOULD IT TAKE TO DO A CA FINISH?? I read his post and to me the word TIME does not belong in the statement of finishing anything with anything. IT takes as lomg as it takes. All finishes need to be done to the operators best ability to achieve quality. Going faster or slower will not improve this. Method of applying and finishing will. Enough said by me. You can disagree but read what others have said. I do not usually respond to questions like this and let others ellaborate and but to me we are looking for that quality finish and many people have trouble with CA finishes and rushing is a factor but the biggest is the method used to apply, and finish afterwards. CA needs time to cure as well as any finish applied to any wood product. Just because it is applied does not mean it is done curing. You are kidding yourself if you think so. So give him all the times you want and as I see it a whole gamut of them have been posted and to me they mean absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

jppensplus

Some 20-30 minutes to apply 10 coats or so of CA, then 400-grit wet to sand down rought spots, micro-mesh to 1200, then polish. (Of course, this assumes I did not make any mistakes and didn't have to start all over again!)

rherrell

Two days!:biggrin:

Applying it only takes me about 5 min. but I wait until the next day to sand and buff. I find it finishes better after it hardens up.

Top Bottom