How I Make A Custom Finial

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

Even though I'm far from an expert, I'm often asked how I turn a custom finial for the Jr series pen kits.

Since I'm not setup to take videos, here is my photo tour. I hope that it may be of some use.

First I punch the existing finial cap out. Simply drill a hole in a piece of scrap wood that will support the outside of the piece while allowing the stock being punched out to fall into the hole.

I put something like a paper towel or cloth in to protect the plating finish. I use a punch from my transfer punch set and give it a solid hit.

Next I chuck up a blank in my nova chuck's pin jaws. Often if I'm using the same material as the pen, I'll use the blank for the cap, turn the finial and then I can drill the tube hole.

Note: if you don't have a chuck like this, you can use a faceplate with a piece of wood screwed to it and trued up. Them simply glue the piece of scrap or material you are using for your finial to the center of the faceplate block.

Next simply turn down the material to size. I use the finial cap with the stock piece punched out to check fit as I go. You could also use calipers but I find my method very easy.

Now sand and finish the piece to your liking. Keep in mind that if you sand the edges heavily it may reduce the diameter. Also, you'll have to decide how thick you want the piece to be.

Then part the piece off. I find the narrow parting tool to be excellent for this.

Don't worry is there is a little nub on the center of the back when you part it off. This will fit right into the hold in the piece it's going into.

I highly recommend pressing the cap together before gluing the turned finial in. Otherwise there is a chance the thin piece could crack or be marred.

Used a small amount of epoxy or ca to glue the piece in place and you are good to go.

I hope this helps someone. Let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

• image-3232650164.jpg
    image-3232650164.jpg
    584.1 KB · Views: 341
  • image-2661246382.jpg
    image-2661246382.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 287
  • image-2344053437.jpg
    image-2344053437.jpg
    616.7 KB · Views: 299
  • image-1848856162.jpg
    image-1848856162.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 313
  • image-1033354603.jpg
    image-1033354603.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 349
  • image-258243308.jpg
    image-258243308.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 376
  • image-476997474.jpg
    image-476997474.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 330
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Karl_99

Dan, thanks for sharing your process. I have made the custom finials before, but just found an easier way to remove the finial cap!

TonyL

Thank you Dan..you have helped me many times. Your pictures "painted" more than a thousand words.

kruzzer

Dan thanks for the info... I never thought about trying that always thought it was too much work but you made it look "fairly" easy.

southernclay

Thanks Dan,
I'm guessing the highly worn hole is Jr Gent II?:biggrin:

The two I've done have been this way based off of your previous comments, makes it pretty easy.

One thing I would add is for acrylic's, backpainting may be necessary....not that I would know from experience or anything:tongue:

plano_harry

Nice tutorial Dan! I had not thought about using the paper towel in the hole, and I give you credit for the idea of turning the finial first, instead of just cutting blanks and drilling holes like I normally do. That was your original idea, right? :wink:

plantman

Dan; After woodworking for as many years as I have been, I take this process as an every day task. Thank you for taking the time to present this method to others who are just starting pen making !!! Sometimes us old dogs forget about showing the new pups how we do things without realy thinking about the process. Good photos and text. Jim S

rblakemore

I will use your idea for my first custom finial

Thanks Dan, I will be working my first custom finial soon and will use your idea to help me.

Top Bottom