How I catalog my bushing inventory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Robbie

After I was well into turning pens, I really started to get a sizeable collection of bushings. Needing a way to store and separate the bushings, I came up with this method of storing as well as keeping all the instructions that came with the pens. First I made an inventory of the kits as well as the needed drill bit sizes, I first kept them in alphabetical order but that quickly went away so I just add new kits to the end of the inventory sheet. The instruction sheet is placed in a clear binder envelope with the number corresponding to the inventory sheet. I then got these plastic tackle boxes from the local Walmart and numbered each compartment. I placed a set of bushings into the little compartments so that the number of the compartment corresponds to the number on my inventory sheet. I also have plastic boxes for the required drill bits as I only use these bits for drilling the pen blanks. This system has worked for me for about 20 years or so and it is really easy to maintain. Everything is stored inside one of my rollaway tool boxes which houses most of my stuff I use for my lathe.

Attachments

• BUSHINGS.jpg
    BUSHINGS.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 145
  • BUSHINGS2.jpg
    BUSHINGS2.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 145
  • BUSHINGS3.jpg
    BUSHINGS3.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 139
  • INVENTORY.jpg
    INVENTORY.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 139
  • INVENTORY2.jpg
    INVENTORY2.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 135
  • INVENTORY3.jpg
    INVENTORY3.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 135
  • PENKITS.jpg
    PENKITS.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 152
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

Yes, very impressive. @Dave has a system as well, all color coordinated etc. He has all his instructions saved and organized as well. I like to think I'm somewhat organized, but you guys have me beat. I'm just happy to have drawers and know where things are at. 😂

sorcerertd

That is definitely impressive. I'm nowhere near that organized, but I do at least have the bushings in multiple compartment containers. It would be certainly be handy for me to keep the instructions in a binder like that.

Robbie

That is definitely impressive. I'm nowhere near that organized, but I do at least have the bushings in multiple compartment containers. It would be certainly be handy for me to keep the instructions in a binder like that.
It is pretty simple to do. It does come in handy from time to time.

jttheclockman

I really need to do something like this too. Just need to make up the mind to spend the time and do it. Now these days you have to list all the kits that a set of bushings go with for many bushings are same for various kits.

egnald

Wow! I do something similar, but not nearly to that level of detail. I essentially color code everything, but my system is not nearly as granular as yours. I lump everything into 8 categories and then file and color code accordingly. Very nice. - Dave

Robbie

I really need to do something like this too. Just need to make up the mind to spend the time and do it. Now these days you have to list all the kits that a set of bushings go with for many bushings are same for various kits.
I do identify the pens with the same bushings on my inventory sheet.

Robbie

Wow! I do something similar, but not nearly to that level of detail. I essentially color code everything, but my system is not nearly as granular as yours. I lump everything into 8 categories and then file and color code accordingly. Very nice. - Dave
Thanks Dave, whatever works, just as long as the bushings can be identified and matched to the pen kit.

its_virgil

My greatest fear is dropping a case full of bushings and they spill out onto the floor. I have nightmares about that. We all have a system that works in out shops. Yours is impressive but not for the unorganized like me. Thanks for sharing.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Robbie

Thanks, the binder is an easy catalog to maintain.

Robbie

My greatest fear is dropping a case full of bushings and they spill out onto the floor. I have nightmares about that. We all have a system that works in out shops. Yours is impressive but not for the unorganized like me. Thanks for sharing.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Thanks, it really doesn't take much organizing, and my boxes do latch when closed although it is still possible to drop and spill. I rarely ever remove the boxes from the tool box drawer, I just open the box and remove the bushings needed.

Robbie

Yes, very impressive. @Dave has a system as well, all color coordinated etc. He has all his instructions saved and organized as well. I like to think I'm somewhat organized, but you guys have me beat. I'm just happy to have drawers and know where things are at. 😂
Thank you

Robbie

If I didn't already have something compact and in place, I've always thought about storing bushings on 1/4-20 bolts somehow. The other system I've always been intrigued by is the one that Bob Blanford (RJB Woodturner) came up with. Here is his bushing YouTube: Bushing Storage. How Do You Store Your Bushings? - Dave
That is really nice also, don't think I will change my system but others may really like this system. Thanks for sharing.

BULLWINKLE

I must say I'm impressed by the organizational skills most of you have.
My method is to leave the bushings in the bags they shipped in. If I can't find the instruction sheet for what I'm working on I use the IAP app to print out a new one. I waste time trying to find all I'll need before I start the project and cuss repeatedly if I can't find what I'm looking for.
I'm thankful for the ideas here. Now I have the incentive to get organized !
It may take a bit of time to do this but it will save time in the long run and prevent my blood pressure from going up.

Robbie

I must say I'm impressed by the organizational skills most of you have.
My method is to leave the bushings in the bags they shipped in. If I can't find the instruction sheet for what I'm working on I use the IAP app to print out a new one. I waste time trying to find all I'll need before I start the project and cuss repeatedly if I can't find what I'm looking for.
I'm thankful for the ideas here. Now I have the incentive to get organized !
It may take a bit of time to do this but it will save time in the long run and prevent my blood pressure from going up.
It isn't very hard to do, g

Top Bottom