How does one make threads on a kit less pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikeschn

How does one make threads on a kit less pen? A cnc lathe? Tap and die? By hand?

Does anyone have a tutorial or a youtube to look at?

Mike...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ladycop322

Using taps and dies. I have a bunch of clips from the last gathering of Johnathon Brooks making one from start to finish. Problem is, I need someone to help me take all those clips and combine to make on video (about 1.36 hours long) I have a MacBook Pro with iMovie...

SDB777

Using taps and dies. I have a bunch of clips from the last gathering of Johnathon Brooks making one from start to finish. Problem is, I need someone to help me take all those clips and combine to make on video (about 1.36 hours long) I have a MacBook Pro with iMovie...

You could always make several small videos for youtube? I find that really long video's only get watched on average of three, maybe five minutes at most....attention spans are somewhat lacking nowadays(I guess)

Scott (no Mac stuff, or I'd help ya) B

frank123

Unless you're pretty highly skilled, a tap and die is the easiest and fastest way and usually gives the best result.

Coarse threads are usually undesirable since they require relatively thick walls and make the pens on the clunky side of things (IMO, YMMV).

frank123

You could always make several small videos for youtube? I find that really long video's only get watched on average of three, maybe five minutes at most....attention spans are somewhat lacking nowadays(I guess)

Scott (no Mac stuff, or I'd help ya) B

Long video's also usually cover lots of stuff you already know or don't need to know to do what your are trying to do

They also tend to cause you to forget a lot of of what you need to learn from them since you're watching other stuff instead of trying out the specific steps and operations as you learn them.

Penultimate

Greetings
I recommend checking out Little Machines Shop.com for a tap guide and a die holder. I makes starting threads a lot easier. Also, Victor Machinery victornet.com has a huge selection fine thread taps and dies. eBay also works well of threads patterns like Whitworth threads.
Good luck.

Top Bottom