How do you view the slimline?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jgrden

Slimlines are important to a varied inventory. They can take more work than other pens due to the diameter size. A custom request for Wine Cork pens was a challenge, but it worked.

Pens - 4-12-13 Custom Cork Flowers 1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
In Defense of the Slimline

This is a picture of the Slimlines in my collection from IAP Turners including a couple of my own efforts. I think they show a lot of imagination and trust me there is some pretty decent turning represented there also

My Slimline Pens.jpg

its_virgil

Here are a couple of pictures of a few of the (modified) slimlines I've made. The kit is quite versatile and fun to morph into many different styles. The only limit is one's imagination and creativity.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• IMG_3974.jpg
    IMG_3974.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 232
  • snake trio.JPG
    snake trio.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 199

danom

customer orders slimline

These slimlines are my top selling pen for custom orders.
So far I have made 66 of these for this one customer.
He supplies me with wood, I stabilize and turn them, and he raves about them. Have tried other kits for him, but He always returns to these. So I would have to say they are a good seller for me. Pain in the _ss to make but customer is always right.
Just my 2 cents
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_0821 (640x480) (2).jpg
    IMG_0821 (640x480) (2).jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 186

Kenny Durrant

Wow what a variety of opinions. Well I guess I might as well through mine in the bunch. Most of what I turn are the slimlines. I like them because they are convenient to carry. I also want those who have my pens to carry them and show them off. I would like to comment on some of the other comments but I have no intent to try to stir up trouble. This is just my thoughts and why I do some of the crazy things I do. Some say that they don't want to spend a lot of money on blanks because most of it is turned to waste. That is true but if you use a cheap plain blank thats the best the pen will look. I choose a tight grained, cross cut or burl so the pen will still have some pattern left. So far I have been able to do quite a bit with the slimline as far as casting and segmenting go. I realize everyone likes something different and has a different clientele, thats why there are so many choices available. Thanks for the interesting post and ALL the comments.

DaveTTC

I've only made about 150 or so pens. All slimline. Most are gone. Average price about $55. I had a few IMO, rejects, that sold for $25. These rejects were still of better finish than most others I have seen at the markets where the guys seem to use blunt barrel trimmers and there is a lot of tearing at the ends that have filled with black from the buffing process.

My standard pen is $49.95. Some are $69.95. I let my step daughter price them as she saw fit. Not priced the way I would have priced them but they sold. I had 2 pens priced at $175. Both sold

Never tried doing them without the centre band. That may be a new thing I try. None from burl and none segmented. These too I will try.

Yes I'm keen to try new things and this had been an interesting thread, I had happened to have started a similar one not realising this one was here.

Yorkie UK

I have added this slimline in another thread, but it is to show that the slimline can look good with a little imagination ... :)

celtic_cross_on_a_slimline_pen.jpg

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Agreed. I think slimlines can look very good. And, truth is I think for people who make pens from kits they have more room for imagination and skill than any other kit.

plantman

Here are a couple more Slmlines I played with this week. One is my segment marking pen. I wanted a larger mechinical pencel so the line width would not change as I used it. Highly spalted burl. The second is a handful of cutoffs from the scrap box glued up and turned a little larger than normal with the center ring. This one isn't going to be your big seller at pen shows, but the grand kids love it for school. Just some ideas for the lowly Slimline. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0013 (297x640).jpg
    DSCF0013 (297x640).jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCF0014 (291x640).jpg
    DSCF0014 (291x640).jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCF0017 (217x640).jpg
    DSCF0017 (217x640).jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCF0019 (197x640).jpg
    DSCF0019 (197x640).jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCF0018 (234x640).jpg
    DSCF0018 (234x640).jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 97

plantman

I have added this slimline in another thread, but it is to show that the slimline can look good with a little imagination ... :)

celtic_cross_on_a_slimline_pen.jpg
:eek: That is a fantastic looking Slimline !!! Just shows that there is no end of ideas that can be used if you just put your mind to it. Great craftsmanship !! Jim S

Top Bottom