How do you store your drill bits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I purchased some clear plastic pen tubes the other day and immediately upon opening the package got this brain wave.

attachment.jpg

It sure is better than those plastic bags some of the bits come in! Feel free to use this idea if you hadn't thought of it as yet. I'm sure there's many of you a way ahead of me.

Attachments

• Drill bits (Small).jpg
    Drill bits (Small).jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 470
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
How do I store my drill bits? Some are on the drill press table, some are on the bench, others are on my sander and some are actually in their rack. It doesn't matter how hard I try, they keep ending up there.

rjwolfe3

I took a piece of 2x4 and drilled holes in a row for the set I got from Daniel. I also have some room at the end for the extras that I know I will pick up along the way like extended bits and Pentel drill bit. Only thing I don't like is the wood sometimes swells and the bits stick but am thinking of adding some type of wax might help.

artme

Made my own stand, just some laminex veneered particle board with appropriate sized holes drilled in it.

Not entirely happy but better than having multiple hidden storage areas.:eek:

Have begun cutting up electrical conduit lately. Will seal one end and make caps for the other,should help with keeping moisture at bay in my steel shed.

Last edited:

aggromere

that's how i store mine. I bought some of the clear plastic cases for pens from rockler and labeled the caps and put the bits in and keep them in a special bin in my storage system.

Daniel

I do the 2X4 thing also. I drilled each hole a bit over sized by drilling with the next larger bit. some still want to stick at certain times of the year. I actually have two of these now. one for my 115pc set of bits and one for my pen bits.

TomW

That's why God invented rare earth magnets. I have a small board with a row of magnets, labled with the bit size. It's on the wall one foot from the lathe.
Tom

sbell111

My 115 bit set lives in the box that they came in:
47653.gif

My metric bits live in one like this one that I bought from McMaster Carr:
dm2938.jpg

nava1uni

I also keep my bits in plastic tubes, used for holding pens. I label them on two sides and they lay flat in a tool drawer. It keeps them from getting dull or rusted. Easy to access and find the proper size when needed.

RAdams

Banned
mine are temporarily arranged until i find something better. Right now, they are all in a drawer with a piece of light guage copper wire attached with sandpaper tags for according kits.

Top Bottom