How do you paint the pen blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

People seem to say that painting the pen blank is better than painting the tube, and I've seen where the glue does show up on top of the tube. So it seems like this idea makes sense. What I'm not sure of is how you can manage to paint the inside of the pen blank and not have to worry about getting too much paint inside, so that then the tube won't fit inside. What method do people use to do that painting?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LanceD

I use Wal Mart and Krylon brand matte paints because they are fast drying. I spray some on a piece of cardboard and use a Q tip to paint two or three coats inside the blank. I find myself using black, white, red oxide primer and gray primer the most. These are all very fast drying paints, The only time I paint the blank and the brass tube is when I use a white or pearl blank.

sptfr43

I just finished 20 cigar pens that I had to paint inside the tube to darken the lucite color a bit. I tried q-tips and found that to be to messy. Finally used a small paint brush. The tubes were a bit tight but the excess paint pushed out as the end of the tube sheared it off for lack of a better term.also painted the tube for added safety to make sure no brass showed through

woodmarc

I use the tensors enamel paint. picked up a kit a Michaels and used a 40% off coupon. The brush that came with the kit works just fine. Granted, I have yet to do a 7mm pen in an acrylic where this is necessary.
I leave the blanks to dry overnight, then glue the tubes in. My experience is limited, but this has worked very well for me.

I have not had to paint both the tube and blank, however, I can see the benefit.

Just my 2 cents.

chigdon

I actually use spray paint to paint the inside with relatively good success. I just started using the Paint for Plastics (I can't remember who makes it) from HD and it seems to work pretty good. I have not had a problem with CA personally.

woodmarc

so far.... as long as the paint is dry, I've not had a problem. (DAMHIKT) Having said that, I have done less than a dozen pens this way. But with complete success.

Is that wishy-washy enough for you?

broitblat

I've tried several paints and nail polish that I brush into the drilled hole. I usually end up with too much paint, but the tubes just scrape out the excess and seem to leave enough coating the hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom