How do I true my Shopsmith Mandrel?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like no matter how hard I try, and no matter what sort of mandrel attachment I use, I just can't seem to get the mandrel on my Shopsmith to run perfectly true. It has gotten to the point that I am seriously conisdering buying a mini lathe to do my pen turning on.

- Any tips/suggestions from other Shopsmith users out there?
- If I do decide to get the mini lathe, what brand(s) do you recommend that are dependable, accurate, and won't break my wallet?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Contact MDWine. He's tied up at work and can't check the forums as often as he used to, but he might be able to offer some guidance.

Oh, and if you can squeeze it in somewhere, tell him you're a Hokie, regardless of any other affiliation (and regardless of whether it's true) - then he'll be sure to help!

DocStram

Have you tried this? Loosen the screw in the tailstock that holds the bit ..... give it a slight turn until the mandrel lines up true. Then, retighten it.
If that doesn't help, let me know and I'll dig thru my SS library.
Better yet, just call the 800 ShopSmith number. That sweet, kind lady who answers the phone is one of the best tech support people around for solving SS troubles.

fhinde

One other thing to check is if you have a 60 degree cone center. The shopsmith center is sharper and does not support the end of the mandrel allowing it to wonder off center.

To check the alignment of the tail piece center bring the quill up to the point of the center and turn the acentric collier until they are aligned then tighten the collier down. I hope this makes since.

Fred in TN

Buzz

As far as mini lathes are concerned, the Jet mini takes some beating for the price. The only regret I have is that I did'nt know enough about turning to appreciate the value of electronic variable speed. Would love to up-grade to EVS now.

MDWine

Did someone say
HOKIE???

Lessee if we can get that Smithy straightened out! Wadda say Bob???

EDIT: OK, Blind_Squirrel didn't have any contact info, so send me a PM w/your email or a phone number better yet.

Originally posted by MDWine
<br />Did someone say
HOKIE???

Lessee if we can get that Smithy straightened out! Wadda say Bob???

EDIT: OK, Blind_Squirrel didn't have any contact info, so send me a PM w/your email or a phone number better yet.

Thanks! e-mail on the way! [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom