How do I read compass?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tommy2tone

Okay don't laugh to hard... I started playing this game called geocaching.. You get coordinates and find "treasure" in the woods. The thing is the website gives you the coordinates in latatude and longatude. I don't have a gps yet. How can I read a compass to head to say North 36 degrees 47.138 west 76 degrees 01.407? I understand the compass is in 360 degrees (and I get the N,S,W,E) but where is the 47.138? Tryed google but that just confused me more...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nanosec12

your going to need an 'accurate' map AND a compass....

the degrees you were given are not directions on a compass, but rather degrees of latitude and longitude (those lines that make the squares on the map)

tommy2tone

That's what this protractor is for? I kind of remember doing something with this back in the Army in the 80's.

Attachments

• protractor.gif
    protractor.gif
    17.3 KB · Views: 129

alphageek

Former Moderator
Rather than buying a GPS - I strongly suggest spending the $10 on the geocaching app. I don't use anything else to geocache these days!

You can easily search nearby caches and it will replace the GPS function too.

navycop

Rather than buying a GPS - I strongly suggest spending the $10 on the geocaching app. I don't use anything else to geocache these days!

Yeah, Me and Jeff tried that. It showed a map that we were right on top of it. I didn't see were it gave the coordinates. We had them written down on a piece of paper. Maybe because we were using the Free one instead?

alphageek

Former Moderator

Yeah, Me and Jeff tried that. It showed a map that we were right on top of it. I didn't see were it gave the coordinates. We had them written down on a piece of paper. Maybe because we were using the Free one instead?

That could be - there is no free one thats put out by groundspeak. The $10 app is great. You can look at maps (street or satellite), you can read logs, descriptions, etc.

I just downloaded the free "intro" one - there is a compass view there too. But honestly it is MUCH better to find someone local to you who can teach the basics.

The biggest learning curve for most people is that once you are withing 20 feet or so (the best realistically you'll get based on the errors that can happen from gps and others putting in coordinates) you need to stop looking at the GPS and start looking for logical hiding places! :biggrin:

WIDirt

Geocaching

While not being a prolific geocacher, I have a few finds. I have been geocaching since 2002, was a member of the CACHE group (until politics ripped it apart), and I built the first CACHE group website. Currently, I use both the c:geo (FREE) and geocaching.com's (PAID) apps in my Galaxy Note. Both are very good at what they do, and I have stopped carrying my Garmin eTrex. The only caches I haven't found when I looked have turned out to be missing. Both apps will allow you to download cache coords for use when you don't have a data signal, making them usable anywhere you cache. The best part of these apps is that you can log your find directly from the cache in real time if you do have a signal.

As for using a compass to find GPS coordinates. Technically you can't, unless you also use a topo map and the protractor shown in the post by yourself. Of course, that map and protractor must also have the correct coordinate system on them, or be prepared to calculate the correct ones in the system used.

Now, having said that. There is a cacher here in Denver that actually uses Google Maps to find caches. How, I don't know, and the person doesn't have a lot of finds, but, apparently, it can be done......

PM me and we can talk about geocaching.

CdirtO (Also my geocaching username)

alphageek

Former Moderator
Now, having said that. There is a cacher here in Denver that actually uses Google Maps to find caches. How, I don't know, and the person doesn't have a lot of finds, but, apparently, it can be done......

LOL - I've done that! But it only works on a percentage of caches. The easy urban/suburban ones aren't too bad. Even some in parks work pretty good as long as they aren't too heavily wooded. Others though.. I would love to see it done.

Russianwolf

A compass only tells you direction (points to magnetic north or south depending on how close you are to which). You need other tools to find your location on the planet (sextant, etc.)

Depending on the features on your phone, the maps can get you pretty close. Best mine can do is about 5m. That's with wi-fi and gps turned on.

Google earth you can get it down pretty dang close.... why are you looking for the middle of a field off Dam Neck Road, near Harpers Road?

Last edited:

Russianwolf

try this.

The location you got is in degrees, minutes, and second. 36 degree, 47 minutes and 13.8 seconds n

a minute is 60 seconds. so 13.8/60=.23 so 36 degrees 47.23 minutes north.
And 40.7/60=.67833333 so 76 degrees 01.6783333 minutes west

enter this into google

36 47.23n 76 01.6783333w

See what you get

works on the computer or the phone.

Last edited:

teamtexas

I find the phone apps are ok, but alot of the time we like to go out and camp at state parks here in Texas and the cell recepiton is not always usable. The handheld gps does not require signal for the cell towers so it works everywhere there is a view of the sky.

On the other hand I found my 1st cache without anything, just used the clues from the hide and other peoples posts.

Have fun caching!

navycop

[LOL - I've done that! But it only works on a percentage of caches. The easy urban/suburban ones aren't too bad. Even some in parks work pretty good as long as they aren't too heavily wooded. Others though.. I would love to see it done.

Let me ask you this. I emailed the cache owner and told the coordinates put me on a stormdrain. Since I never saw anything like this how would I retreve it? Could it be a magnet stuck to the underside of the grate? It is in a soccer park and not allowed on the fields. So I know it cann't be in the radius of the drain or you will on a field on three sides.

Last edited:
Top Bottom