How can I fill a gap?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

I've just put together my first attempt at a Baron pen and I seem to have a gap between the end of the blank and the metal pen part. It only goes a little less than half of the way around. I have no idea what caused it, especially since the other end of the same blank is matching up fine. But anyway, I tried putting the upper blank part in a vise, and with some pressure from the vise, the gap does disappear. But it didn't disappear for good- it was there again after I removed the vise. I guess what I'm wanting to find a way to do is to put some sort of glue in this gap and then put it in the vise and have it miraculously look fine after it sits for awhile. But what could I put to fill in the gap and to adhere the two edges of the gap together, that I would be able to get off the outside of the blank when some undoubtably leaks out? I hope the picture shows what it is I'm describing!

20065822150_1202002IMGSmall.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

What caused it is improper milling of the ends. If you can dis-assemble, re-mill it and it should fix your problems.

JimGo

Angela,
I had this same exact problem recently, also with a Baron kit. I wound up going the glue route because I had to get it out the door, but your best bet is to do as Dario suggests and disassemmble. I'd be willing to bet you have a small speck of glue somewhere in the barrel right about where the delrin stops. If you file that down, you'll be good to go.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Dario
<br />What caused it is improper milling of the ends. If you can dis-assemble, re-mill it and it should fix your problems.

Agree with Dario. I mill before turning and again after turning and before final assembly. About 50% of the time a small amount of material is trimmed off indicating I am finally getting a perfect squaring on the ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom