How are you storing your kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fnfalguy

As things get a touch crowded in my work space and the sheer number of kits is apparently increasing like unsupervised rabbit, I was hoping to get some feedback on how y'all are storing your kits. As a reference, I'm guessing a couple dozen (maybe more) types of kits and several of each of those types, so pushing maybe 300+ kits in total. I am slowly working my way through the kits, but need a place to keep them in the mean time. The blanks have been easy as they are occupying a bookcase.

I picked up a large tool chest and that is being used to store epoxies, drill bits, mandrels, chisels, etc. and there isn't room in my work area for another tool chest. Initially I was using a lazy susan type organizer (below) but have already out grown that.
1686342018637.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Here is my setup (evolved over about 5 years):

I store most of my kits in drawers in a plastic storage unit. About 4 or 5 kits will fit in each drawer, so for some kits, the overflow goes into small plastic containers that are stacked on top.

In the photo you can also see the bulk of my plastic blanks inventory stored on a shelf under the drawer units, and to the side is a set of small plastic jars in boxes that house my bushing collection.

IMG_2090.JPG IMG_2092.JPG IMG_2094.JPG

I store my frequent use blanks in 5x8 bags hanging under a shelf. The overflow and bulk go into shoebox sized plastic containers and are stored on shelves above them.

IMG_2095.JPG IMG_2096.JPG

The drawer labels are color coded to kit families like Cigar, Sierra, Rollerball, Themed, etc. The same color code is used to help identify the correct bushings for each set which are stored in small jars inside little plastic boxes. The color coding is also used in the 3-ring binder I use to store instruction sheets for each kit style.

IMG_2099.JPG IMG_2100.JPG IMG_2097.JPG IMG_2098.JPG

I'm sure you will find a lot of ideas from IAP members and will come up with a good solution that works well for you and your space.

Regards,
Dave

Hippie3180

I store most of my kits in drawers in a plastic storage unit. About 4 or 5 kits will fit in each drawer, so for some kits, the overflow goes into small plastic containers that are stacked on top.

In the photo you can also see the bulk of my plastic blanks inventory stored on a shelf under the drawer units, and to the side is a set of small plastic jars in boxes that house my bushing collection.

View attachment 355119 View attachment 355120 View attachment 355121

I store my frequent use blanks in 5x8 bags hanging under a shelf. The overflow and bulk go into shoebox sized plastic containers and are stored on shelves above them.

View attachment 355122 View attachment 355123

The drawer labels are color coded to kit families like Cigar, Sierra, Rollerball, Themed, etc. The same color code is used to help identify the correct bushings for each set which are stored in small jars inside little plastic boxes. The color coding is also used in the 3-ring binder I use to store instruction sheets for each kit style.

View attachment 355126 View attachment 355127 View attachment 355124 View attachment 355125

I'm sure you will find a lot of ideas from IAP members and will come up with a good solution that works well for you and your space.

Regards,
Dave
Wow! That is SOME organization you have there. Impressive.

jttheclockman

I store mine in plastic storage boxes about the size of a shoe box. I have a couple rolling carts that I use as work benches or for tool benches and I store them underneath. Some of my more expensive kits I store in the rolling tool cart drawers. I have way more kits than I ever will possible make along with blanks and blank making materials. I was thinking the other day this winter I need to thin my scrollsaw items and start selling off to help when I pass on and my family is stuck with all that stuff. Many craft shows closed due to the pandemic and never reopened so finding shows is very hard to do. Maybe this year some more will open up. Pen stuff is alot smaller and easier to get rid of. I already told my brother to keep this site in mind when he wants to get rid of all my stuff. Just ask members here and they will be willing to help in the pricing and sales.

derekdd

You guys are more organized than I am. Part of my problem is a lack of space. I'm using one side of a two car garage that has a car parked in it when I'm not working. Currently, a plastic toolbox is my kit storage. Small plastic jars from Home Chef are where I store bushings.

Adding shelving to the wall, unless high, pushes out my workbench and rolling tool carts (planer, jointer, miter saw, drum sander) to where I can't park the car. Still thinking this through.

I appreciate seeing what the rest of you are doing for inspiration.

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member

View attachment 355119 View attachment 355120 View attachment 355121

View attachment 355122 View attachment 355123

View attachment 355126 View attachment 355127 View attachment 355124 View attachment 355125

Regards,
Dave

Wow Dave!

You are the Master of organization. Your methods are beyond comprehension.

TonyL

On retail store store pegs or nails. I punch holes in kit bags and hang them. When I don't do that I have them strewn all over every work surface :).

Todd in PA

Walmart drawers for my novelty ballpoint kits, and the top drawer of my cabinet holds all my fountain pens and rollerballs in lunch meat containers.

IMG_8038.jpeg
IMG_8039.jpeg

The nice thing about the clear plastic material is that you can write on it with a sharpie and it wipes right off with denatured alcohol.

I've started a new top drawer next to the lathe for kitless materials and tools.

Walmart drawers for my novelty ballpoint kits, and the top drawer of my cabinet holds all my fountain pens and rollerballs in lunch meat containers.

View attachment 355156View attachment 355157

The nice thing about the clear plastic material is that you can write on it with a sharpie and it wipes right off with denatured alcohol.

I've started a new top drawer next to the lathe for kitless materials and tools.
I see you also have some snacks in one drawer. Great idea!

egnald

View attachment 355156View attachment 355157

Your connection to Ed and Dawn at Exotic Blanks is showing in your last picture. :) Mix & Match (M&M) - Dave

fnfalguy

Thank you all for your input. I headed over to Wally World to grab some plastic shoeboxes, a 2 pack of interlocking parts organizers and some colored dots as I love that idea of matching bushings to kits easily. The kits had to be placed in 2 areas, but within close proximity. Next up will be matching the dots.
403EC90E-7A38-4626-9AA3-FD8EC05B16EA.jpeg
DAAA23B0-391E-4BD5-B205-0B4955C06B40.jpeg
32F91352-79A8-4222-99D3-20C316B2D6D0.jpeg

bugradx2

this discussion popped back up in my feed today. I guess the ol' interweb knew one of my missions this year is to work on shop organization.

The engineer in me loves Dave's level of organization but the slacker in me wonders if I'll keep up with it. I am chuckling at how many of us show various things from Exotic Blanks also.

bugradx2

View attachment 355126 View attachment 355127

Regards,
Dave

Dave - I may be copying your method for storing blanks in bags vertically. That's genius.

Question for you - when I look at the photos of your bushing storage it looks like you might have multiple sets of bushings in one container. Do you keep more than one set of bushings or do you mix bushings across styles? Where do you get the plastic jars?

egnald

Dave - I may be copying your method for storing blanks in bags vertically. That's genius.

Question for you - when I look at the photos of your bushing storage it looks like you might have multiple sets of bushings in one container. Do you keep more than one set of bushings or do you mix bushings across styles? Where do you get the plastic jars?
I keep a loose "work in progress " set of bushings in each plastic jar and one virgin set (spare) in the same jar still in its factory plastic bag. I got the plastic boxes with 12 jars in each from our Walmart store in the crafts / bead storage box area. I think I paid about $5 to $8 or so for them. - Dave

bugradx2

I keep a loose "work in progress " set of bushings in each plastic jar and one virgin set (spare) in the same jar still in its factory plastic bag. I got the plastic boxes with 12 jars in each from our Walmart store in the crafts / bead storage box area. I think I paid about $5 to $8 or so for them. - Dave
you are the epitome of the Boy Scout motto by saying you always have a backup set of bushings. I looked a couple of mine the other day and told myself maybe I should order a new set. Thanks for the advice on where to get the jars too. I've been keeping my bushings in the original bags and then filing them in a flat tackle box. I either need a much larger tackle box or to go more towards what you've got.

jttheclockman

you are the epitome of the Boy Scout motto by saying you always have a backup set of bushings. I looked a couple of mine the other day and told myself maybe I should order a new set. Thanks for the advice on where to get the jars too. I've been keeping my bushings in the original bags and then filing them in a flat tackle box. I either need a much larger tackle box or to go more towards what you've got.
I seem to keep ordering new bushings all the time because I misplace the old ones. I really need to get more organized.

NeonWoodShop

How are you storing your kits? Poorly!

Spread out over 4 or 5 drawers in my toolbox, but not sorted at all, plus mixed with blanks and other turning kits and accessories. I do have a new-to-me toolbox that will have the lathes on top and plenty of room for all my turning stuff in the drawers, so organization should improve soon.

I did make one improvement in my process in 2023; I picked 10 containers from a 1.25 store for current projects. Each pen kit, the blank and bushings go in the box until completed. I was using a bolt/hardware organizer but most of the drawers were too small. The containers lock and stack and help me keep track of which blank I selected etc. I had some finish issues last week and it was nice to pull the bad blank off the mandrel, toss it into the container and move to another project without wondering this week which pen was the blank supposed to go with (I have frequent bouts of CRS).
https://www.dollartree.com/teaching-tree-rectangle-organzer-with-2-lock-containers-9x4x15-in/327821.

I dropped a couple the other day and was immediately thankful it was only for a single pen type
This is a big concern and the main reason I keep the bushings in the bag and keep the bags in an organizer.

Turner Terry

This is how I store my bushings. Then I have a not book with them all listed by which pen they go to, put in excell alphabetically listed. I have already made this larger once so I made sure to leave extra room for many more bushings in the future

Attachments

• Bushing holder.jpg
    Bushing holder.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 50

RunnerVince

I've recently switched to something different in an effort to keep my need for infinite kits and blanks under control. Rather than storing kits and blanks separately, whenever I get new kits in the mail, I immediately pair them up and rubber band them together. I then store them as neatly as possible in a carboard box. This way, when I get time to turn, I can get to it more quickly. I've already decided what goes together, so I just pick a blank (or sometimes kit) I want to work on, and the kit (or blank) that's attached comes with it.

I also try at least minimally to order kits to go with blanks I already have. For example, I have a bunch of cherry, so I always try to order at least a few kits I will deliberately pair with cherry blanks. I also try to order "pairs" I already know will sell, and I WRITE DOWN what I've already decided, so when the order arrives, I can pull out my notes and start banding pairs together.

I still have a stock of unpaired blanks, but all my kits are "assigned." If I have a custom order and happen to know I have that kit, I'll "break up" a pair, but otherwise, whenever I can, I wait until I have custom orders to order anything at all. That way, I dilute my shipping costs.

This suits how I work, and how I generally sell. I'm not sure how this would work at a larger scale, but for now it's helping me to spend more of my productive time actually making pens and less of that precious time spinning my wheels.

I am feeling very unorganized, especially after seeing @egnald Dave and his storage. I think there was some sale at Lowes on these storage containers last year from Dewalt they have worked out fairly well and stack and lock into each other if needing to move as one unit or a set of units.

Attachments

• Bushing Storage.jpg
    Bushing Storage.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Storage.jpg
    Storage.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 37

bzahn

I bought some clear plastic shoebox-size containers at Dollar Tree for a buck each (I think they're $1.25 now) and I keep the kits in separate boxes on shelves and keep the correct bushings in the boxes with each kit. I'll often toss in blanks that I think might go well with the kits too. I also have wood blank boxes and acrylic blank boxes for those that aren't already matched to a kit. That's about as organized as I can deal with.

goldendj

I'm in the plastic bin crowd. Kits go into Ziploc baggies by type, with index card labels, in shoebox-size bins. Blanks organized alpha by type, with dividers, ditto.
20240128_110233.jpg
Bushings go into small plastic cases labeled, then into bins.

Large kits & blanks go into oversize bins
20240128_110240.jpg
I track bin number in my inventory spreadsheet.

Top Bottom