Epoxy in tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricRN

Hi all, I am trying out some kits that have threads on the inside of the brass tube for fitting the components, rather than the press-fit found in many pen kits. I'm pretty excited about it. Seems like a much better way of doing things. However, because the tube is threaded, it's important to make sure that epoxy does not harden on the inside of the tube. I always get some epoxy in there when I push the brass tube into the blank, and normally just clean it out after it's hardened with a reamer and diamond file. That won't work here, of course. It'll ruin the threads.

So, how do folks keep epoxy out of the tube? I was simply going to stuff some wax in there before sliding the tub in, and then once the tube's in place, remove the wax with a paperclip or something before the epoxy has had a chance to dry.

But I was curious if anyone had tips or a better way of doing this.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drewby108

If you have those baybel cheese snacks, the wax coating works great for gluing tubes. Just press the tube through the wax and it stays til you push it out.

monophoto

Traditional solutions involve using dental wax, children's modeling clay, or a potato to plug the end of the tube when inserting it in the blank. After the glue has cured, the plug can be easily removed.

jttheclockman

Playdough here also. What kits are you referring to that are threaded? Also that means the tubes are thicker to accommodate the threads.

howsitwork

I use blutac , a sort of poster putty and remove after epoxy sets but I can confirm white spirit or cellulose thinners removes unset epoxy quite well. perhaps if you run some thin oil into the threads before epoxying tube in it should keep threads clear?
not tried it though.

gbpens

Considering you have threads to contend with I would use material to produce a "plug". The DNA is a great idea. You might also try wax using a thin candle or a lubricant applied with a Q-tip.

showcaser

20PCS Dental Base Plate Wax - Molding Casting Wax Sheet Denture Material Red Utility Wax Sheets Lab Dentist Auxiliary Material on amazon

Hi all, I am trying out some kits that have threads on the inside of the brass tube for fitting the components, rather than the press-fit found in many pen kits. I'm pretty excited about it. Seems like a much better way of doing things. However, because the tube is threaded, it's important to make sure that epoxy does not harden on the inside of the tube. I always get some epoxy in there when I push the brass tube into the blank, and normally just clean it out after it's hardened with a reamer and diamond file. That won't work here, of course. It'll ruin the threads.

So, how do folks keep epoxy out of the tube? I was simply going to stuff some wax in there before sliding the tub in, and then once the tube's in place, remove the wax with a paperclip or something before the epoxy has had a chance to dry.

But I was curious if anyone had tips or a better way of doing this.
Hi I use potato too plug the end of the brass tube, it's easy to remove and works well in keeping the inside of the tube clean

montmill

Even though I used dental wax I still got a little inside the tube ends. After watching some videos on glue ups I realized I was sloppy with the epoxy. Once I took my time and changed how I was inserting the brass by removing excess epoxy as I went along the problem was resolved. I still use dental wax and clean the inside of the tubes with a Q-tip and if necessary use alcohol to be sure. I do this even after the final sanding of the tubes to remove any Glu-boost that may have gone over the edges. Sometimes that will get inside the tubes too.

EricRN

Playdough here also. What kits are you referring to that are threaded? Also that means the tubes are thicker to accommodate the threads.
It's the Berlin kit from some German company. Can't remember the name. It's a nice kit. Uses the skm clicker. I'll post some pictures when I'm done. First time trying this one.

EricRN

Love that kit!
I'm pretty excited to try it out. Given how much pen kits at the US shops seem to have risen in price (I was shocked to find out the blade was selling for nearly $20!!), this was actually cheaper than some of the SKM based click kits even accounting for international shipping. Helps that we don't have to pay VAT.

Paul-H

Playdough, plasticine, bluetack, whitetail, Rodico (Swiss greentack) (I mend watches so have loads of that stuff.). Or a Wax of some sort.

Quite new to pen turning so doing a lot of research on the university of YouTube so seen lots of different options being used.

wimkluck

EricRN

Thanks for the tip on the dental base. 10 very clean tubes all glued up.
CB9C86F8-E2F6-492E-8FA1-E1FDBD9DA17E.jpeg

Woodchipper

Pulled this up as I was wanting to keep the inside of the tubes clean. I thought of melting a candle on wax paper and using the wax layer in the tube.

Top Bottom