HOT PINK!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim Haslett

Jim Haslett

This was a custom order. A coworker wanted a pink pen for his wife. I hope this was pink enough!

It's made with American holly, dyed with "brilliant rhodamine" aniline dye.

Attachments

• 101_0020.jpg
    101_0020.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 388
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

Looks great Jim. They also have a nice pink acrylic on exotics. I think it's called Bubble gum or something like that.

LeeR

This was a custom order. A coworker wanted a pink pen for his wife. I hope this was pink enough!

It's made with American holly, dyed with "brilliant rhodamine" aniline dye.

Well, if she loves pink, I think you filled the order just fine! I made my daughter a pink pen for Christmas using a pink acrylic I found at Woodcraft, which came out really nice. I had not thought to try to dye wood on my own, such as you did with the holly. I'd like to give that a try sometime.

Where did you get your dyes?

Perl

Pen looks great!!! I have some fairly boring blanks that I would like to try using some dyes on, but have never done that. What is the process using the dyes, and where did u get them?

Jim Haslett

I posted a link in my last reply. They are water based dyes. You can get some colors at Woodcraft.

Basically, I turn and sand to 600, then remove the blanks from the lathe. I suspend them on a string run through the tubes. Then I apply the dye with a rag. Usually one coat is enough, but if you want more feel free. I let them sit at least overnight to ensure the water is all evaporated. I have let them sit much longer with no issues.

Then back to the lathe. I haven't had any issues with grain raising from the water. I do "burnish" with a paper towel at high speed. Then I finish with BLO/CA.

Just make sure the dye is good and dry or you'll have problems with the CA.

Oh, and I wouldn't try to use any solvent, DNA etc. prior to the BLO/CA. You want that color there.

drgoretex

I love the subtle colouration :biggrin:

I have a couple teens in this house who'd kill for that pen. Nice work.

Ken

Top Bottom