Honoring Creation with Our Craftsmanship

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

I hope that this is appropriate to post. It certainly has a religious content to it (in thinking about craftsmanship), but is in no way meant to be divisive or offensive to anyone who holds a different worldview.

This short video (5 mins) is about one (furniture) craftsman's thoughts on his undertaking.

Regardless of each of our world views, I think it's a valid consideration to think more deeply about what we do.

There is a comment made somewhere in the video about what we make being worthy of the tree that provided it. The idea that we should care deeply about quality in our craftsmanship. An idea that many of us can share.

From the narrator's Christian perspective, the trees as part of creation are a gift from God. And that changes our perspective as we work. If we honor them as such, he considers his work as a furniture maker as a sort of sacrament. If we are irresponsible and disrespectful with our materials, it can be a sacrilege.

Anyway, agree or disagree, I thought it was interesting.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/thisisourcity/richmond/furniturefit.html

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
It is interesting. I do agree with the project should be worthy of the wood. It would be cool to spend a day with that guy in his shop. I also think the main difference between good craftsman and great ones is patience.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Great video Dan. I too would love to spend a day with him in his shop and I also agree that a project no matter how big or small should be worthy of the wood.

carlmorrell

As a corollary, there is a pretty good short read called "A Reverence for Wood" by Eric Sloan. It's a historical look at the role wood has played in history.

As a furniture maker, I feel it is my goal to give the wood a new life, and to respect what nature has gifted us with.

Attachments

• sunburst.jpg
    sunburst.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 119

Dan Masshardt

As a corollary, there is a pretty good short read called "A Reverence for Wood" by Eric Sloan. It's a historical look at the role wood has played in history. As a furniture maker, I feel it is my goal to give the wood a new life, and to respect what nature has gifted us with.

I've seen that and would like to read it at some point in the near future. Thanks for the reminder.

robutacion

In my view, one doesn't have to be of any traditional religion descent or orientation, to understand and appreciate this concept, I have lived all my natural life with those values, something that I struggle to not lose...!

Everyone to its own...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom