Honeycomb Hickory Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sylvanite

Sylvanite

More of the "honeycomb hickory", in bowl form.

Attachments

• HoneycombHickoryBowlSide.jpg
    HoneycombHickoryBowlSide.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 200
  • HoneycombHickoryBowlTop.jpg
    HoneycombHickoryBowlTop.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 271
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

That is a beautiful bowl. What causes the hickory to do that? I've seen some hickory and never anything like that. Is Honey Comb a type of Hickory? Inquiring minds and all that, you know.
Charles

Sylvanite

What causes the hickory to do that? I've seen some hickory and never anything like that. Is Honey Comb a type of Hickory?
"Honeycomb" is just a name I coined to describe the figure in the wood. This is pignut hickory that fell and has been laying on (or slightly off) the ground for years (I suspect over 25). The honeycomb pattern is formed by little pockets of decay - similar to spalting, but with a cellular look and no black lines. I've harvested quite a few hickory trees, but only come across 3 with this figure in them.

Depending on how far gone the decay has progressed, it can be quite punky and challenging to turn. This bowl was mostly solid, but with several soft spots that needed CA to stabilize. Despite being dead for decades, it was still wet when rough-turned. I put it in a paper bag filled with wood shavings in May, and finished it in December.

Regards,
Eric

Top Bottom