Homemade Lathe wins Blue Ribbon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jaeger

This is a lathe entered in the Fair this year .
I didn't make it, I just thought it was pretty Cool !!!

image-1660763703.jpg

image-3407215342.jpg

image-736998838.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

I turned the knob you see on the tailstock.

I was looking up ways to make the toolrest online, and I found a design I liked, but my tax return came in that weekend .....

It was a good bit more than I expected, so I went to harbor freight and bought me their Mini Wood Lathe. This wooden one is carefully stored away in case I ever wanna bring it out and play with it again.

The design I came up with calls for a vacumn cleaner motor that I salvaged from one that was tossed out in the trash, it still works fine. I was partway through building the housing for the motor as well. In order to turn that knob, I simply took my cordless drill and chucked the spindle up in it and turned it right there between dead centers.... then I sanded the back of the handle smooth before I attached it with epoxy.

The build was fun ... I researched the hows and whys of what to do step by step online before I came up with the design and got started. It took me 2 months looking at scrap wood and metal before I found what I was looking for in the hardware.

I seriously thought about making up a pen mandrel for it and doing a pen in the Turning Challenged just because Derek said that only pens turned on a "Wood Lathe" were eligible ... :)

Top Bottom