Homemade gouge sharpening jig?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

snatiep

Hello everyone!

I need to sharpen my gouge and I have a slow speed wet grinder I bought at rockler a year ago.

I have looked at the Wolverine Jig but was wondering if any of you have made your own jig to sharpen a gouge with?

I have searched the past posts and the Library here, but I can't find any information on a homemade version.

Any help would be most greatly appreciated. Money is kind of tight for me right now, so any homemade jigs are treated like gold with me!

Thank you very much!

Nate

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

george

simple home made jig

Hello !

Perhaps it is too late, but I am enslosing a photo of very simple tool holder. I was having a lot of trouble with grinding gouges, which had to be perfectly grinded for making chess pieces. After seeing few profesional and home made, wooden jigs I decided to make one. But I did not have enough place on the table with the grinders, so I made simple tool holder. Since then I grind gouges with out any problem. I belive the key is that bevel is grinded in "one line" from the start to the end, and this can be done with this. Of course profesional jig could (is) be better, but this one also work fine. I just set it in correct position before turning on grinder, and than step on the bottom piece of wood, to have same position at all time of the grinding. And I guess none jig could be made in less time.

Good luck.

Attachments

• grinding jig.jpg
    grinding jig.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 3,082

PaulDoug

Here is the ones I built. I did searches in the internet, found some examples and using pictures from what I found made my own.

Attachments

• mini-116_1605.JPG
    mini-116_1605.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 5,524
  • mini-IMG_0272.JPG
    mini-IMG_0272.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 1,612

JimB

I made one simialr to Pau's but I bought a Roller Stand (the kind you use to hold up a 2x4 when cutting it on a miter saw) at harbor Freight for about $8 and used the parts for the sliding mechanism. I glued some scrap wood to make the V to brace the tool handle when sharpening.

Marc Phillips

Here's one I used to make...

Here's some pics of one I use to make...

Attachments

• BowlGougeJig.jpg
    BowlGougeJig.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 3,552
  • BowlGougeJigInAction.jpg
    BowlGougeJigInAction.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 3,548

PaulDoug

Marc, note the similarities between yours' and mine. You picture looks awful familiar. Thanks for the inspiration. Think i got the stem on mine too long though.

Top Bottom