Homage a Gisi

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kaspar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaspar

This is a segmented pen modeled on a Gisi pen that a friend asked me to do. She liked the one they did a great deal, but it would have been too big for her hands anyway.

SegmentedStatesmanJrBT-HomageaGisi-open-sm.jpg

Let me assure the Gisis that my next segmented pens will NOT be attempts to copy, even vaguely, theirs. Remember, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Also, can someone show me the coding for here that can make an image into a link?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Kaspar,

YOUR pen is masterfully done and a GREAT job.

But the Gisi pens I have seen are MUCH more complex. I am pretty sure they won't be worried OR offended!!!

NICE work on your part.
Congratulations!!

leehljp

Member Liaison
That IS a WOW pen. Beautiful choice of colors and superbly done! This will be on the front page for sure! That could be the pen of the year!

darrylm

the segmentation looks fantastic! and the picture is amazing. I wish I could take pictures like that!

rdunn12

I went and looked at some of the Gisi pens after reading this post and to be honest I was'nt all that impressed with them.Can I do pens like that?UMMM NO,but I thought your pen looked great and the Gisi pens look kind of gaudy to me.Just my opinion though.

its_virgil

Whether one likes their designs, color combos, materials, etc or not, one must admit that their segmenting abilities and creative abilities are excellent. They do incredible work.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by rdunn12
<br />I went and looked at some of the Gisi pens after reading this post and to be honest I was'nt all that impressed with them.Can I do pens like that?UMMM NO,but I thought your pen looked great and the Gisi pens look kind of gaudy to me.Just my opinion though.

its_virgil

Excellent work on that pen Kaspar...Very nice, very nice indeed.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Kaspar
<br />This is a segmented pen modeled on a Gisi pen that a friend asked me to do. She liked the one they did a great deal, but it would have been too big for her hands anyway.

Let me assure the Gisis that my next segmented pens will NOT be attempts to copy, even vaguely, theirs. Remember, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Also, can someone show me the coding for here that can make an image into a link?

Kaspar

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Whether one likes their designs, color combos, materials, etc or not, one must admit that their segmenting abilities and creative abilities are excellent. They do incredible work.

That's pretty much how I'd say it. You can argue the aesthetics (I have issues with some of them too) but their techniques and execution are nigh flawless, and a standard to which anyone should aspire.

Freethinker

I agree with rdunn..........I have been looking at the Gisi pens for a long time, and while they seem to be masterful at segmenting, from a purely aesthetic standpoint I do not find their designs appealing. Too "busy" and gaudy for me.

Your pen seems to have an <u>amazing</u> finish though........fantastic job.

Kaspar

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />From the "Reply" screen, select the 5th icon from the right on the "Format" line (Insert image). That will bring up the following. [*img][*/img] without the asterisks. Type the location of your image between the two commands.
Lotus001-Truestone-Amboynaw-ivoryaccents-complete.jpg

Of course. That posts the image. But there's a way to turn an image into a link to another place.

Usually it goes [*url=address of site][*img]image location[*/img][*/url] (sans *s)

That doesn't seem to work here though.

dfurlano

Nice opinion, I'm glad you went out of your way to criticize someone. Very helpful.

Originally posted by rdunn12
<br />I went and looked at some of the Gisi pens after reading this post and to be honest I was'nt all that impressed with them.Can I do pens like that?UMMM NO,but I thought your pen looked great and the Gisi pens look kind of gaudy to me.Just my opinion though.

alamocdc

Kaspar, all I can say is WOW! Absolutely stunning. I haven't had the nerve to try one like that yet, but I've been wanting too for some time. Spot on, all the way around.[^]

GaryMGg

Originally posted by Kaspar...
Of course. That posts the image. But there's a way to turn an image into a link to another place.
Usually it goes [*url=address of site][*img]image location[*/img][*/url] (sans *s)
Are you asking if you can post a link to the image when it's hosted elsewhere and not have the image appear in the post?
Like so, My lumber storage
If so, the syntax is:
Code:
[ url = "URL For actual object " ] Text describing the thing [/ url ]
  wherein the only spaces allowed are in the "text describing the thing"

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Kaspar

That doesn't seem to work here though.
Here's the exact code to link an image:

<u>This code:</u>

[url="http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32116"]
[ATTACH=full]279622[/ATTACH][/url]

<u>Produces this result:</u>

200811321939_eltorojim.jpg

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Before you ask... [8D]

Yes, there's a way to demonstrate forum code without having the code actually execute.

You enclose the code in [.noparse] and [./noparse] tags. (remove the dots!)

So, while you don't normally see the code that <b>bolds</b>

If you enclose it in the noparse tags it looks like this: <b>bolds</b>

So you can show people exactly how the forum code should look without having to fake the tags with stars, spaces, dots, etc. Except you can't demonstrate the noparse tags without some mangling because those always execute.

Kaspar

Originally posted by thewishman
<br />Kaspar - nice work on the pen! Glad to see you posting photos again, your pens and photos are always so pretty. It seems like it has been a while.

Chris

Thanks for looking. Yes, it has been a while. I have been doing pens, but I have also been very, very busy. Also, I had kind of exhausted the possibilities until the recent acquisition of a Jim Saw. You can not only do pens with it, but you can build various precision jigs, including a couple with mic heads. The possibilities are, if not endless, at least copious.

I plan on getting his disk sander soon. You can do repeatable compound angles with it (Talk about possibilities - think fractals! Woohoo). Eventually I'll get the thickness sander too, for doing accents and laminates out of any material.

Kaspar

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />The Gisi pens, and yours, are demonstrations of excellence in craftmanship. As far as beauty, they are way too busy to be attractive, IMHO.

There are many who share that opinion. I did that as a commission. I am presently designing something original, and I'll be happy to hear what people think when I am done.

Wendell, that is CSUSA's Caribbean Swirl Acrylic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom