Hollowing tools?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodnknots

I am very interested in doing some hollowforms. Can anyone steer me towards their favorite hollowing tool? I am looking for the most flexible use for the money. A well rounded tool that won't kill me while I'm getting the hang of it, and that I can use for complex hollow shapes later on when I DO have the hang of it. Thanks for the help!

Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

I haven't tried hollowing yet but I saw the Crown Beaver Swan's neck hollowing tool last time I visited Woodcraft and I think I like that one.

It is in close out for $99.99 (regular $159.99) might be a good time to get one now.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=4596

dubdrvrkev

I have the "monster lathe tool deluxe" http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page4.php
I highly recommend giving it a look. The constuction is first rate, and it is very versatile and expandible. The handle is slightly different than the picture, it is like the "monster hollowing system II" (shorter base handle and longer extension) works great with that set-up.

Dario

If you decide to go with the Monster lathe tools...contact the maker/owner (Randy - not our Randy here) and see if he can give you a discount ;)

Woodnknots

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />I make my own.

If you can wait until the weekend I'll take some pictures

I absolutetly can wait till the weekend. If you would, could you give some specifics with the pictures? I have a friend that is a metal worker, he has already made me some tool rests, and is interested in making some hollowing tools for me as well, but needs specifics or a template to do it.

tipusnr

If you are good friends with a machinist - go to www.alanlacer.com and print his guide to making a "hook" tool. He visited the club here last year and said anyone can do it though I haven't had the courage to play with torches yet. (My color vision is a problem for getting the right temperatures and haven't bought the heat sticks though I did buy a MAPP gas torch in case I get the courage.) Tried to find someone in the area to walk me through it but no takers. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom