Hollowing Practice Piece

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

As I noted in a recent post, I've been struggling with hollowing. After seeking advice from the IAP community and doing some internet research and utubing, I decided that I did not have the proper tools and was not using what I had properly. I had another weather related day off today and needed to go to the post office. Woodcraft is a few miles from the post office so I stopped by and ended up buying the EWT hollowers nos 1 & 3. They cost a small fortune. I came home and decided to try them out on a piece of seasoned spalted white oak. I figured that if I do well on seasoned white oak that the tools would work well on most woods. I kept the opening wide so that I could see what was going with the tools. I love these tools. I got a very nice under cut and a very smooth finish that required minimal sanding. Here's the result.

image.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

Here they are. Cut slightly above the centerline with the angle between the cutting head and wood a little less than 90 degrees.

image.jpg

plantman

Very nice crisp edges and shape !! Even the best tools are only as good as the craftsman standing behind them. Cody, you should be very proud off this bowl, and I hope it took your mind off the upcoming weddings, at least for a little while. Jim S

Last edited:

Charlie_W

Great job on this bowl Cody! Made a big difference didn't it?

Using these with a pull motion from the bottom of the vessel up the sides towards the top opening will give you the smoothest interior instead of pushing.
Looks like you already know this.
These EWT hollowers are super on an end grain vessel.
I like that these are designed with the cutter in line with the shank of the tool and don't tend to twist as much as some other hollowing tools.

My son gave me the no3, the one with the goose neck. He had one and thought it a nice tool. Didn't need the straight tool as I have Don Pencil's hollowing system that has a straight bit and actually a couple of the goose necks, but this is easier and quicker to use. I'm not a major fan of the carbide type tools, but I do like this one.

Good job on the bowl.

Cwalker935

My son gave me the no3, the one with the goose neck. He had one and thought it a nice tool. Didn't need the straight tool as I have Don Pencil's hollowing system that has a straight bit and actually a couple of the goose necks, but this is easier and quicker to use. I'm not a major fan of the carbide type tools, but I do like this one.

Good job on the bowl.

I am not a fan of the shorter EWT tools typically used for pen making either. I really really like the no.1 tool. The longer handle gives you a lot of control and takes out material quickly. I used it on the outside of the bowl to touch up spalted areas where I was getting tear out with the bowl gouge.

Top Bottom