Hitting the nail on the head!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Watched this video on another site and just had to share. This guy hits the nail on the head full force and dead on every point he makes. Different generations will watch this and have different opinions but those that are baby boomers and older will agree 100% I am betting.

https://youtu.be/Sc5x-EcvQYY

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I agree. Before the young generation gets offended and the older generations point the finger just because it started during the Millennial Generation doesn't mean it's only them with a problem. I see people of all ages consumed with cell phones and social media. I'm sure that if all of us takes the chips off our shoulders we will realize that we All have issues with some of these or contribute to them. I guess what concerns me the most is the some have been around long enough to know whats going on and don't care and other won't have a clue what he talking about. One other thing is he's not blaming people for the way they are that's "The hand they were dealt". He's just saying there is a problem and we all need to change some things. Thanks for posting.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I am not a "seer" and don't claim to be. But I can tell if a kid plays out in a busy street what is going to happen sooner or later.

Back when we started having kids in the early '70's, I noticed a trend starting with our family because it was happening in other families around us - the TV became the baby sitter / pacifier while the mom and dad did things around the house. When TV becomes the babysitter/entertainment, it becomes the teacher - of values. An attachment is made to the media and it becomes the learning tool, not mom and dad. Their core values are derived from the medial, not mom an dad. There is deception there because they know that they must do what mom and dad says, but they have some conflicts because their values are derived from the media. Since they have less values than the parents, they will be more lenient to their kids - the millennials. Two of my daughter born in the 70's and '80s have 5 kids each. They regulate the TV and now the iPads with a vengeance. They are so close to the millennials that they are well aware of their (millennials) traits and their desire to be soaked in media, withdrawn, not responsible to others, self indulgence. Oldest daughter has two masters - one "special ed" focused and the other "gifted" focused. This is a topic that she is well aware of.

When I grew up, the pocket knife, birds in the trees, the way a ball bounced on different objects, the relationship of angles and circles, the difference between a vegetable and a weed, why fruit only produced at certain times of the year - curiosity was my teacher and I learned from it. I learned what a sharp knife and misplaced blow of a hammer could do, what gravity was/is. Most of my cousins, boys and girls did this also. How to take care of sick grandparents, fix a cut finger, etc. But those entertained by TV had the amorality of TV. It didn't show up in them as much as it did with their kids. Media does far more entertainment for the brain than it does towards critical thinking stimulation. Most stimulation that comes from media entertainment is towards self interests instead of discovery of what is in this universe. The media stimulation is inward focused and not outward focused.

When TV, movie, internet/social media becomes the morality teacher, there are repercussions and a distrust for people and truth in general. The focus at this point is upon self, self, self. There are no absolutes when the focus is on self, only eventual chaos. They do not see this and it is hard for most of them to comprehend such a statement. They are the kid playing in a busy street.

That is the hand that they were dealt.

I have some great grandkids that missed the millennial mentality because their moms made them "get out of the house" and discover the universe around them. I will have to add that my kids basically grew up outside of the USA culture and this had some effect on them.

Last edited:

adirondak5

Sounds to me like some of the same stuff my parents said about my generation , and their parents said about their generation . I don't think there is a problem overall , there are just more examples out there now because there are just more people , and usually the only examples that get scrutiny are bad ones . As a father and grandfather I see the same issues I faced , the same questions I asked , in my children , grand children and their friends . Sure , technology changed , but people are still people , good apples and bad apples .
Now I'll get off my soap box and go yell at the kids to get off my lawn !:biggrin:

jttheclockman

Hank you make alot of sense in what you said. The one underlying factor with what your saying is the fact today both parents probably have to work to make ends meet. It seems to be more expensive to live these days. But again you can throw in the have to have factor that he mentions. We are more of have to have because the other guy has people. Not all cases but it is there. As soon as the new Iphone comes out look at the lines that form to get it. What is wrong with the one you have?? This is just an example.

I found it very interesting watching it and in my mind he is so right. I put this way of thinking right up there with the thinking about global warming and how people continue to deny it exists and yet there is mountains of proof. The path society takes is determined by its people.:)

Top Bottom