History

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cal91666

cal91666

First let me say that I am unable to date this wood without a doubt. The story I was told from the person that gave it to me is this ............ This is from a local company that purchases timbers from old warehouses, some of which date back to the 1700's, and repurposes it for hardwood flooring, moldings, and other timber products. These old warehouses stored such things as tobacco when Richmond was a major trade center along the James River. As these warehouses are being converted to apartments and condos these old wood beams are being removed. These 2 pens are made from Heart of Pine that was cut as flooring but wasn't clean enough to sell and are gifts back to the person who gave me the wood.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 210
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TimS124

The story on the wood is cool. The pens look very nice. Love the squiggly grain on the one-piece pen!

The textured background in the photos detracts quite a bit though (not meant as anything other than hopefully constructive feedback).

cal91666

The story on the wood is cool. The pens look very nice. Love the squiggly grain on the one-piece pen!

The textured background in the photos detracts quite a bit though (not meant as anything other than hopefully constructive feedback).

Thanks Tim. I agree with your comment about the background. A photographer I'm not. The cloth was a gift from a friend that does embroidery work. I'm going to get her to make me one in a gray or black cloth with no texture.

robutacion

Those are very "neat" pens, great fit and finish...!

There is an old perception among turners that "Pine" wood is just no good for turning , particularly making pens with however, there is also the fact that most people aren't of the dozens of pine varieties out there, some of which are no longer planted therefore, these trees wood is only found in old buildings, such as the wood on this thread/pens...!

Old pine is unmistakable in the "trained" eyes of those involved with such woods for many years, there is a "glow" in the resin veins that no new Pines can produce, its an age thing so, you have no control on that.

I like them, as I like "things" made of Pine, regardless of species, that's a personal thing, I guess...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Great looking pens, the blank have great grain and with the history of the wood it make them very special. Very nice fit and finish,

OZturner

Beautiful Pens Chris,
Love the story on the origin of the Blanks.
Those Blanks are Spectacular, as is your Fit and Finish.
So glad you managed to turn the photo's around, I fell off the chair three times trying to view them.
Congratulations on a Great Job.
Brian.

Top Bottom