Historic Ship Woods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from yorkie

yorkie

I just got through making this for someone in Australia.

It's made using historic ship woods: Teak from USS North Carolina, Lignum Vitae that wrapped the propeller shaft of the USS Mariposa- a WW2 troop transporter in the Pacific, Oak from the deck of a 1800's schooner from Wiscasset and Angelique from the Spirit of South Carolina sailing schooner from the late 1800's. Each piece has been cut at 60 degrees and spliced with solid brass.

It was a royal pain to make and to turn. Each piece of wood is a different density and the brass didn't help. I had to have the chisel razor sharp and take fine cuts to avoid digging into the Teak and avoid blowing out the Oak and the Angelique. the LV was hard as rock.

Finish is CA, kit is chrome Zen.

Attachments

• IMG_1812.jpg
    IMG_1812.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_1811.jpg
    IMG_1811.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 242
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikebpeters

Nicely done, just did a simple senior gent for a customer in wood from the Bluenose II restoration. Cool having a pen that is also a history lesson.

Sub Vet 10

I got some of the teak from the USS California.

What can I do to preserve and protect 100+ year old wood? Tung oil? Should I use CA? etc

I just got through making this for someone in Australia.

It's made using historic ship woods: Teak from USS North Carolina, Lignum Vitae that wrapped the propeller shaft of the USS Mariposa- a WW2 troop transporter in the Pacific, Oak from the deck of a 1800's schooner from Wiscasset and Angelique from the Spirit of South Carolina sailing schooner from the late 1800's. Each piece has been cut at 60 degrees and spliced with solid brass.

It was a royal pain to make and to turn. Each piece of wood is a different density and the brass didn't help. I had to have the chisel razor sharp and take fine cuts to avoid digging into the Teak and avoid blowing out the Oak and the Angelique. the LV was hard as rock.

Finish is CA, kit is chrome Zen.

PeetyInMich

I got some of the teak from the USS California.

What can I do to preserve and protect 100+ year old wood? Tung oil? Should I use CA? etc.
Depends on the "look" you want I suppose. CA is great for the shine, but tends to look a little fake if the gloss is too high, friction polishes and tung oil may not have the durability that a "heritage" piece of wood deserves (without proper care).

Sub Vet 10

I would like to maintain as much natural look as possible but I guess maintaining the wood would be a priority

Top Bottom