High End Kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Big Guys

Well the gas stations were advertising their cash price. But I doubt that the credit card companies would have much incentive to do anything about it if I bothered to complain.

I was thinking that state laws might be trumping MC/Visa T&Cs. I've also thought that the Chinese who are pretty blatant about dodging PayPal fees might have local law on their side. The credit card companies must comply with the law in every nation where they operate and the rules can vary from country to country. Small and Poor countries might need to adjust their laws to suit the credit card companies but larger, richer nations will not.

I'd also be surprised if places like Wal-Mart and Target don't have their own negotiated terms and conditions and not just lower fees...my guess is they have fewer hoops to jump through as well. I know that when IBM gave most of their employees Carte Blanche and American Express cards a long time ago we did not have the same T&Cs as the general public.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dudley Young

What I can't understand is:
1- Dayacom has lowered their minimum. That means they are not selling many.
2- That means the venders are not buying many because the pen turners are not buying them.
3- The turners are buying them because they are not selling.
4- My question is, WHY DO YOU WANT ANY OF THEM???

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I suspect that, for a hand-full of guys who have positioned the pens properly and have the right market, these pens are VERY profitable, even at $70 to buy them.

Unfortunately, there are not enough of this type of penmaker to justify FOUR pen bodies and RB and FTN, a total of EIGHT configurations (this ignores PSI's and Bereas, just CSUSA) then, in two platings, makes 16 configurations!!

If you all adopted ONE body, ONE plating, you'd have eight times as many people and the buy would be much easier----but, trust me, that won't happen!!!

jttheclockman

What I can't understand is:
1- Dayacom has lowered their minimum. That means they are not selling many.
2- That means the venders are not buying many because the pen turners are not buying them.
3- The turners are buying them because they are not selling.
4- My question is, WHY DO YOU WANT ANY OF THEM???

Dudley

There are those that would like to take their pen turning to the next level instead of being stuck in a rut with the same old kits. There are some such as myself that have never done any of these $70 kits because they are or were out of my price range and did not think I had a market. But as I go through this hobby I have improved and want to try that next step. You can't be afraid to fail. The worst case scenerio is that they sit on the display shelf forever and become my props for other sales. As someone said that $300 pen makes that $100 pen look like a better deal.

Some people find all that extra bling is distractive. I happen to like some of these kits and would be proud to own one and use it and show it off. My biggest concerns when buying these kits and I have expressed this with some of the mid priced kits also that the components and platings stand the test of time and are not just all show. That would annoy the hell out of me and does. When someone has to improvise a method to keep caps from unscrewing and other things is annoying. That can ruin ones reputation and your back to selling $25 slimlines again.

If there is a chance to have a group buy and take advantage of numbers then why not. This is a penturning site and we should be able to get some kind of discounts. Sites like this is where it all starts and has helped launch these so called ellite companies. I hope somewhere down the road that a special discount is available to all IAP members to be used at any of the dealers. Ed has taken on some of Berea kits and offers discounts throughout the year. But I would like to see a discount program that is standard for this site. Until anything like that happens then we have to try to take advantage of any deals that come along. That is why we buy. My 2¢

JerrySambrook

The worst case scenerio is that they sit on the display shelf forever and become my props for other sales. As someone said that $300 pen makes that $100 pen look like a better deal.

John is absolutely spot-on with this comment.
I did not believe it either, but then brought two pens, (as the vendor I go through wants two of each style) that were $250.00 each.
Suddenly, all of the midprice (65-100) that were the high end pens before and were not sell, were going good.
I used to think that was a bunk myth, but I absolutely agree with it now

Jerry

Top Bottom